How Can a Blog Lead Traffic to Your Site?

I have heard a lot about writing a blog to direct traffic to your website... I am curious how does it work.

Also, is it better to start a blog on wordpress or blogger websites or is it better to have blogging page on your own site... if that is the case then how will it direct traffic to itself... confused...

Any explanations ... online marketing experts out there :1confused:

Very briefly, as books have been written covering the topics of your questions, blogs are an excellent way of gaining Organic Traffic (Search Engine Traffic such as Google). Google in particular values relevant and frequent content on sites that it ranks highly in its Search Engine, and blogging is a great way to provide it. If your business site is unique (not a cloned site with duplicate content) and has not been penalized by Google for bad SEO practices, then in general it is better to attach your blog to your Business site, particularly if your site is aged (the older the site, the more "trust" Google has for that site). The second best choice would be to get your own unique domain to set up your blog site. A free Wordpress or similar site would be least preferred.

With your blog, you can optimize different pages to rank highly for the search terms you want to rank well for. Remember, Google doesn't display your site in the SE results, it displays pages of your site. Optimization involves SEO (Search Engine Optimization) using Keywords you want to rank for. For example, if you optimize a page for "Term Life Insurance" for your City, County, etc., then your blog page will hopefully show up on page one, better near the top, when someone searches those terms. Once they click on that page, your goals in this order are:

1. Capture their contact information (generally name and email for drip marketing) in exchange for some type of offer (ebook, webinar, podcast, etc.)
2. Direct them to your Business website page for more info and opportunity to go to next step ( request quote, phone consultation, etc.) basically a call to action.

So, in a nutshell, you get them to your blog page using SEO for high SE rankings, capture their info and direct them to your Business site. You also want to make sure that the content on your blog site is engaging so that they stay a while and don't click on and off the landing page (Bounce).

There is so much more involved, but that gives you a general idea on how a blog can help direct Organic Traffic to your site. It can also be used with Paid Traffic and other forms of marketing, but that is also a big topic that I will leave alone for now.

LOM58 - Thank you for your detailed and knowledgeable reply. I guess you are in the SEO business.

Can we talk off line to see how you can help?

Assurevest,

Sorry, I've been busy and didn't see your post. Absolutely. If you go to my blog site linked in my signature, you can schedule a free consultation (link button top right). Don't worry, no hard sell.

Back