How Can I Get Started to Become a Top Producer ?

...did i sound like i wanted to start at th top from th get go??... :)

Yes it actually did. It sounded like you were looking for a mentor to teach you to start at the "top".

You said you wanted to start as an FMO. That is going to necessitate proof of a substantial amount of production. You aren't going to have that until you have a substantial amount of success and in force business.

I would first suggest that you do the research to see what is required for you to get to that point. The questions you are asking are indicative of someone who doesn't understand all the intricacies of this business yet. That's why the answers sound to you like they are general in nature.

Heed Tod's advice, he knows of what he speaks, as do others on here.

Thanks for your response.
1. my neighbor i no longer have access to or i would have called him and not started here.
2. your answers have been general and not provided and sites or places to go of where to start.
3. of course anyone would start at th bottom...lol. did i sound like i wanted to start at th top from th get go?? come on guys....hintz th words metor and direction of where to start! provide some substanial information instead of good luck and hey contact your neighbor. sounds like you two cannot provide any place to start. wow! Thanks for th general talk. :)

Glad to hear that! For a minute there I thought you were starting at the top and going to work your way down from there. :D

TRK3031962 Thanks Todd! I really appreciate your feedback. That clears things up a bit with a direction of where I need to head and get started with. I took my classes last year and obtained my license. I called the colo state dept of Insurance office today, found out I have to get it renewed. I'll be studying this the nxt couple weeks then going ot retake my test!

What type of companies should I be looking for to interview? Are they Insurance agencies or local annuity companies?

Would it be a good idea after getting my license again if I should also use this to become an independent insurance agent and try to offer like auto insurance too?

Independent is the way to go if you can find someone to train/mentor you. Otherwise, you need to find a captive shop (captive means you can only sell their product).

Where are you in colorado?

located in Denver colorado
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
what state are you in?

Last edited:
If you want to primarily personally produce I would take the advice of Todd. If you are looking to be primarily in the Marketing arena, get a job at an FMO. There are lots of them out there and many of them are hiring pretty often as the turnover can be high.

It's alot of fun helping agents and most FMOs let you produce personally as well as long as it doesn't interfere with your day job.

Todd, would you have any recommendations of sites to go with for online training courses?

Go to the ILIAA.org and sign up there. It's only $1 for the 1st month.
Brother, you need to decide in which direction you need to go. For instance, annuities and auto don't go together. Life and annuities, now that goes together.
The problem is though, you don't seem to know much about any of it and if that be the case, annuities are NOT the place for you to start!

Back