How do you handle agents lying to your clients

I just received an email from a current Life Client, that was reviewing health plans with me before the holidays.

She said that another agent told her that the Carrier/plan that I presented was only good in her home state and that they were not very good anyway.

Reading this instantly gave me a headache, not because I couldn't deflect the argument, but because it pitted me against this lying asshole, who is a captive BC agent. Naturally, I couldn't tell her that, so I just countered the arguments and she is going to move forward with the plan that I presented.

This happens once per year. Last year it was a World Insurance agent that told a different customer that the GR plan that we decided on, was nothing more than a discount plan. I mean stupid arguments like that... she sent me this assholes email to her, and I nearly fell out of my chair.

Just wondered how you handle this type stupid ****.

Tell them that they were mislead. I don't know about your state, but, in Florida that is not allowed, not that agents don't do it, but it may be reportable as unethical to the Insurance Regulatory Body in your state

I just had this happen. A guy talked to my client and told them that Genworth was a B rated company and that she would be stupid if she didn't go with Protective Life instead.

I have had clients tell me that another agent contacted them and said the policy I sold them was a "piece of junk" or words to that effect. I tell all my clients that if they have an agent tell them that to give that agent my toll-free number and have them call me. Yes, they actually do that.

Much to my amazement, I have actually had two different agents over the past sixteen plus years call me and try to convince me to tell my client to drop the policy they have with me and tell my client to take a policy with him.

I'm not sure but I think I made disparaging remarks about his heritage. Noting that happens in this business surprises me anymore.

If you sell yourself to your clients and prospects things like this are nothing more than an annoyance. It's an occupational hazard.

Back