How Do You Keep in Touch?

insuranceconceptscindy

Guru
100+ Post Club
Las Vegas
I have a medium sized agency. Between 750-1000 clients, mostly health and Medicare.
I got a call from a guy that did an AOR with me because his previous agent "didn't do anything except sign me up." I thought to myself, well, that's probably what I would do too!
At one point I did newsletters (hard-copy mailers. Did not pay for itself in new business or time), Birthday cards (kept forgetting to run a report before the end of the month), anniversary cards (if I know their wedding anniversary. But then I have to keep track if they get divorced!). The only thing I am consistent with is sending my annual reminder for Medicare AEP.
What do you do to keep in touch with your clients? Are you cross-selling as you keep in touch?

I have heard the same thing from a client, same thoughts went thru my head.

I think a personal phone call would be the best solution. Every time I get a birthday postcard in the mail from a company I know that they just compiled a list and sent it off. Perhaps if there was a personal note then it would be different. It is important to keep up with customers, it will pay off in the end, but it can certainly be a burden.

Last edited:
I have a medium sized agency. Between 750-1000 clients, mostly health and Medicare.
I got a call from a guy that did an AOR with me because his previous agent "didn't do anything except sign me up." I thought to myself, well, that's probably what I would do too!
At one point I did newsletters (hard-copy mailers. Did not pay for itself in new business or time), Birthday cards (kept forgetting to run a report before the end of the month), anniversary cards (if I know their wedding anniversary. But then I have to keep track if they get divorced!). The only thing I am consistent with is sending my annual reminder for Medicare AEP.
What do you do to keep in touch with your clients? Are you cross-selling as you keep in touch?

Sounds like a pretty good sized bob IMHO I have less than that. But still a challenge to keep in touch as you say
I do birthday cards religiously
Periodic newsletter. Rather sporadic about twice a year
Aep member meetings and letters (mostly covering next years changes and also giving out info on any ancillary programs available)

My cell # is listed on my card. (Which I give everyone on a magnet holder for fridge)

Mostly I receive calls when problems occur or confusion. I either answer right away or quickly return their call. I am happy that they called me to help solve the issue they have instead of my competition

Most of my business comes from referrals from clients although this all is still a work in progress. And I know I can step it up a notch

I have a friend who has well over 500 clients. But never contacts them or does any mailings. When anthem significantly raised their premiums or changed plans in his area he took a significant hit and lost quite a few of bob. N
There is a lesson for us all As you have been on the receiving end of unsatisfied clients signing up with you

I am thinking about stopping birthday cards for a while and maybe do Thanksgiving day cards or the like. (Something different that Christmas)

I use ACT. That will auto run auto report on birthdays for the upcoming month. I then print an envelope (card sized 5x7). With their address and where the stamp will go I have the birthdate printed. (Stamp will cover the date) I insert card (with signature) seal then sort by day and mail them out a week at a time (as the birthday come up)

Probably more than you asked for

I would be curious about what others are doing also

Last edited:
I call a few clients each day. I have a file on each solicit referrals etc. try calling 20 or more do this each day. You will get a lot of business

I've been looking for a good way as well. My bob isn't very big (yet), but I still don't do a very good job keeping in front of them.

Send Out Cards has been a lifesaver for me when it comes to birthday cards. The hard part will be putting your book in there, but then it will send you reminders two weeks before their birthday. Either set up a campaign to send out a card or just manually do it and select delivery for birthday.

I don't do the MLM aspect, but I'm sure someone on here does and will hook you up with them.

I call a few clients each day. I have a file on each solicit referrals etc. try calling 20 or more do this each day. You will get a lot of business

Sounds silly, but that is the biggest problem with trying to call your whole book. You start calling and before you know it you do not have time to call from needing to do quotes and referrals. Then you are to busy to call.

Rather than sending birthday cards, I log the dates in a calendar then call on those dates. Saves printing and postage cost but also gives a personal touch. The vast majority of the time I get an answering machine and just leave a message. Figure with 1000 clients you average less than 3 calls per day. Not much time wasted, no cost and still gives that something extra.

Rather than sending birthday cards, I log the dates in a calendar then call on those dates. Saves printing and postage cost but also gives a personal touch. The vast majority of the time I get an answering machine and just leave a message. Figure with 1000 clients you average less than 3 calls per day. Not much time wasted, no cost and still gives that something extra.

I do the same thing. At first it was because I was cheap, but then I found out that my clients love the fact that I call them. I also right handwritten thank you notes after each sale, they absolutely love them many or even surprise that someone still knows how to write a letter.

Wrote a term conversion last night by email from a normal annual policy review call. I wrote that ONL term policy 10 years ago after AORing and servicing another term policy. 10 minute phone call = $3,000

Back