How Many Policies Have You Sold In One Family?

The only problem I have is defining what is meant by family? Are we talking about one household? Or are we talking about grandparents, parents, children, grandchildren, etc. There are long time agents here that I am sure have been providing coverages to a family over a period of several generations.

Also, are we speaking of all coverages? Life, health, P&C? And finally, what about replacements? Since agents that specialize in some fields such as Med Supp have a tendency to roll business form year to year, are you going to count each new issue as a "policy"?

I think what you are trying to do is great but it might work better if you are a little more targeted in your research questions.

Let me also ask.... what defines a policy?

See, what seems like a simple question isn't simple at all....

On the P&C side, think about cars. One household, 6 cars, all on one policy. Now, do you count that as 6 (most P&C agents do) or as one?

To be honest, I have no idea what my record is for the most policies sold to a household. Couldn't even guess, at least not with some guidance on what the parameters of counting are.

Now, if you ask the most life policies I've sold to a single person for themselves (i.e., insuring themselves, not family members) the answer is 3, all written on the same day. I've done that a couple of times, but I've never written a 4th one on the same person at the same time, can't even imagine a situation that would call for it.

I think my record life sales in a single household (written same day) is 9.

With P&C, I have NO idea.

Dan

In one senior household, I had 4 life policies (two each on husband and wife), two Med Sups (they were switched a couple of times over a period of 12 years but we will count that as only 2) 2 LTC, A family cancer plan.. So the most I had in force at any one time was 9. But prior to their going on Medicare I also sold them a major medical and 2 disability policies so that makes a total of 12.. I didn't sell P&C. All this came out of a cold canvas call, knocking on their door on a rainy afternoon. We paid claims on all the plans except his nursing home polciy and the 2 disability polices. They were good clients, became good friends.

If you are asking about extended family, I would have to really search my memory on that one.. I just wrote a small WL plan on the great grandchild of a client and I have written insurance in each prior generation.

What is the most policies you ever sold to one family?

Life policies? I sold 14 at one home a few years ago. I ran out of applications and had to go back the next day to finish up. Some were small policies on the grandkids for around $10/mo. The highest monthly premium of the bunch was $90. All together it was almost $400/mo. That was in July '09. All of them are still on the books.

Life policies? I sold 14 at one home a few years ago. I ran out of applications and had to go back the next day to finish up. Some were small policies on the grandkids for around $10/mo. The highest monthly premium of the bunch was $90. All together it was almost $400/mo. That was in July '09. All of them are still on the books.

Great job.. your running out of apps reminds me of a debit agent with the old Life and Casualty. They had a little 10 cent per week accident policy (you have to wonder how an agent could make in any money on them even back in 1973) .. There was no real underwriting on them.. Just name address, DOB and SS number. He decided he was going to promote them one week.. He wrote 109.. ran out of apps .. took the information down on brown paper bags.. Spent Friday morning in the office copying the info from the bags to the apps and signing them "for the clients".. Don't know that he ever delivered all them.. His car was always full of undelivered polices.

Great job.. your running out of apps reminds me of a debit agent with the old Life and Casualty. They had a little 10 cent per week accident policy (you have to wonder how an agent could make in any money on them even back in 1973) .. There was no real underwriting on them.. Just name address, DOB and SS number. He decided he was going to promote them one week.. He wrote 109.. ran out of apps .. took the information down on brown paper bags.. Spent Friday morning in the office copying the info from the bags to the apps and signing them "for the clients".. Don't know that he ever delivered all them.. His car was always full of undelivered polices.

I can see it adding up sounds like he wrote in excess of $520 in annual premium on them....But you said debit so he had to go back and collect the money all the time.

Back