How much information should I provide

furnish the information

• yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jajola

My father had an accidental death policy through his work. The death report and subsequent coroners reports state that it was due to accidental overdose on prescription pain medications prescribed due to a procedure. The insurance company is requesting records from the pharmacy. The pharmacy wants me to sign a release of information sheet. Do I need to do this? It seems like I could possibly be providing them with information that they could deny my claim for.

They'll deny it anyway if the cause of death listed on the death certificate is based on medications.

Accidental death generally means violent and external trauma to the body.

Accidental death policies are not the same as true life insurance.

Don't know. I'm not an underwriter or a claims person.

But if you don't sign the waiver, they won't pay anything. At least, it appears, that you've got a shot.

Why would they even bother makin the prescription request?
To determine if the drugs were actually prescribed.. Without seeing the actual policy language is impossible to say anything for sure but it si possible an accidental oversose of a prescribed medicine would be cover where as if the drug is not prescribed it would not be covered.. As far as you may be giving them ammunition for denying the claim by releasing the information, it is for certain they are not going to pay without receiving the information they ask for.

They paid out his regular life insurance claim. Could they be seeking recompense?

Ordinary life insurance is different than accidental. It has much fewer exclusions, basically you can't lie on the application, try to commit fraud, or commit suicide within the first two years (in most states).

As others have mentioned, they definitely will not pay on the accidental death without the records. They may with them.

Back