How to Find a Trustworthy Life Insurance Agent

jdrose

Two questions:

1. What is the best way find a knowledgeable and trustworthy life insurance agent? (i.e., who will suggest the best product for my situation instead of pushing a particular product regardless of the situational factors, which has been my common experience).
1(b). Is the answer really as simple as finding an independent agent? I imagine independent agents exist who are more interested in commission than the right product. Though, that may be me being cynical.

2. How are insurance agents limited in which state they deal with clients (e.g., write a plan)? Can an agent from Vermont write a plan for me in Wyoming? (hypothetical, I'm not from Wyoming)

Thanks. If it helps in any way, I am considering a whole life policy.

Really? No commissions? How do you get carriers to set you up like that?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Two questions:

1. What is the best way find a knowledgeable and trustworthy life insurance agent? (i.e., who will suggest the best product for my situation instead of pushing a particular product regardless of the situational factors, which has been my common experience).
1(b). Is the answer really as simple as finding an independent agent? I imagine independent agents exist who are more interested in commission than the right product. Though, that may be me being cynical.

2. How are insurance agents limited in which state they deal with clients (e.g., write a plan)? Can an agent from Vermont write a plan for me in Wyoming? (hypothetical, I'm not from Wyoming)

I. Use an independent agent.
II. Ask them to explain life insurance to you. If they can't talk about whole life insurance for five minutes, go somewhere else. Unless the agent suggests a carrier with a B-rating, don't sweat the commission.

Last edited:
this board is a good place to start. the advantage for you using this board, is when you talk with an agent, from this board or not. we will all be looking over your shoulder. i am sure a vermont guy will pop up. you may want to re-post asking for a vermont agent. of course, on this board, there has been many debates on WL vs TERM depending on what your needs are, single. married,children, find an agent you are comfortable with. and you are being cynical, doesn't matter, independent or captive. we all have basically the same types of insurance. and an agent life blood is referals, so just looking for a commission check, does not make much business sense. i personally would want to meet an agent face to face. their is more to insurance than just premium cost. if you are just looking for cheap call flo. but at claim time flo's is going to pass the phone over to "peggy".

They have to be "registered" in the state (either non residence or residence). A non residence would be someone who doesn't live in your state. They have to be registered with the Dept. of Insurance in each state they want to do business with and then be appointed with the various carriers they intend to sell in that state.

As long as you are comfortable with the agent and the plan makes sense to you and you have options to choose from and the carrier is rock solid - should help you make the right decision. You could always ask for a 2nd opinon as well.

Two questions:

Are you an engineer by any chance?

Are you an engineer by any chance?

I was. I am an attorney now.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

They have to be "registered" in the state (either non residence or residence). A non residence would be someone who doesn't live in your state. They have to be registered with the Dept. of Insurance in each state they want to do business with and then be appointed with the various carriers they intend to sell in that state.

As long as you are comfortable with the agent and the plan makes sense to you and you have options to choose from and the carrier is rock solid - should help you make the right decision. You could always ask for a 2nd opinon as well.

Thanks for the helpful answer. I was actually asking because I was wondering about the possibility of approaching posters on this forum as a potential agent.

Last edited:
Back