How to Go About Asking for Job?

Thank you everyone. I appreciate all the good ideas! Dropping in seems to definitely be preferable. My only concern is I would have to take off work in order to do it...and that's not guaranteeing that the decision maker will be there if I come into town. I added the agency owner on LinkedIn. Would sending him a note on LinkedIn be bad form?

That's why you leave a message and a resume to prove that you had really stopped by, pick up their business card, and follow up again at a later date.

There should also be SOMEONE else on the premises that you can talk to, to hand your resume to the owner.

Stopping by shouldn't be a waste of time.

If a walk in requires taking a day off from work I would pick up the phone and call him. Do you experience call reluctance? The reason I say that first mention email and now LinkedIn.

Oh I can definitely pick up the phone and call. No problems there. I was just thinking an email to set up the phone call might be a good idea so he has time to think about it and formulate questions he wants to ask. I can definitely give him a call. I appreciate the input!

----------

That's why you leave a message and a resume to prove that you had really stopped by, pick up their business card, and follow up again at a later date.

There should also be SOMEONE else on the premises that you can talk to, to hand your resume to the owner.

Stopping by shouldn't be a waste of time.

I appreciate the advice, DHK! Thank you!

I always introduce myself and hand them my business card. VERY few people do this for who cares why. As a business owner building an agency, I WANT these superstars to seek me out. I want to get them before my competition does. I can't possibly know who these future stars are so it's refreshing to have someone with courage to show up. That act alone speaks volumes.

I just realized I haven't updated everyone on the situation. I dropped in and the owners weren't there but was contacted to set up an appointment. The owners are interested in bringing me on. They only want to bring someone on with the intention that the new agent will buy them out in around 6 years when they are ready to retire. It's a large book around 10Mm. It could be a great opportunity or a disaster. I'd love to hear what you guys think about a situation like that!

Contract of proposed sale. You need one first. You need to get it to your attorney to evaluate and protect your interests. You also need to be able to predict what the revenue stream to buy this agency needs to be and keep it on track. If you miss the mark, would you miss the purchase opp? If you do, all that business (sans the T&L's) would belong to whom? Many moving parts to consider and they all begin with proper legal representation. Just my two cents...

Contract of proposed sale. You need one first. You need to get it to your attorney to evaluate and protect your interests. You also need to be able to predict what the revenue stream to buy this agency needs to be and keep it on track. If you miss the mark, would you miss the purchase opp? If you do, all that business (sans the T&L's) would belong to whom? Many moving parts to consider and they all begin with proper legal representation. Just my two cents...

Potentially great opportunity but listen to Louie.

A BOB $10 million strong is no joke! Lots of possibilities. Louie gave, and Xrac affirmed, the very best actions for you to take. I think I would be inclined to accept this offer, but before you do, CYA!!!

Back