How to Start Getting Clients who Aren't Just Family

I got into Insurance as a broker with my uncle that that talked me into it. I was excited to do it and saw a lot of potential as a good career. Little did I know, he just showed me how to quote then left me a on my own to figure things out.
After struggling for 3 months selling to all the friends and family I could I was reached out to by a recruiter from Farmers. So I looked into it and saw good potential in the opportunity for real training and a big brand name.
I read a lot of negative things about them but my experience so far has bin pretty good. It's bin about 3 weeks and I've learned a lot but still have a problem.

Looking for ideas to actually get the ball rolling on new prospects that aren't necessarily current family and friends. I've started doing door to door which has bin getting a little better each time but still haven't closed anything yet.

Can anyone share what worked best for them at the very start?

I'm trying to specialize in Commercial and Life, but at this point I'm opened to all lines of business to at least get my book started.

Thank you!

There is another issue. Farmers is NOT competitive for commercial. Any time I am quoting against them I get excited because I know that 1) I will be half the premium, and 2) 98% of the time it was not written with the proper coverages to start with. I went indi specifically to sell commercial.

There is another issue. Farmers is NOT competitive for commercial. Any time I am quoting against them I get excited because I know that 1) I will be half the premium, and 2) 98% of the time it was not written with the proper coverages to start with. I went indi specifically to sell commercial.

I understand that, but we usually broker out of Farmers for a lot of commercial policies, and writing it properly is completely on the agent. I started indi and will always be opened to going back in the future.

I HIGHLY recommend Sandy Schussel's Mastering Client Referrals program:
sandyschussel(at)com/products/

It's only $37 and it's the best I've ever heard.

Thank you for the heads up on this. I just ordered it.

He also gives his e-book "Become a Client Magnet" away with the purchase of the audio program.

$37 is a bargain for any info which may help you generate even one new client.

I got into Insurance as a broker with my uncle that that talked me into it. I was excited to do it and saw a lot of potential as a good career. Little did I know, he just showed me how to quote then left me a on my own to figure things out.
After struggling for 3 months selling to all the friends and family I could I was reached out to by a recruiter from Farmers. So I looked into it and saw good potential in the opportunity for real training and a big brand name.
I read a lot of negative things about them but my experience so far has bin pretty good. It's bin about 3 weeks and I've learned a lot but still have a problem.

Looking for ideas to actually get the ball rolling on new prospects that aren't necessarily current family and friends. I've started doing door to door which has bin getting a little better each time but still haven't closed anything yet.

Can anyone share what worked best for them at the very start?

I'm trying to specialize in Commercial and Life, but at this point I'm opened to all lines of business to at least get my book started.

Thank you!

I have some material on lead generation that I would be willing to share. Send me a message.

I have some material on lead generation that I would be willing to share. Send me a message.

You've posted this same thing in about 4 threads now. Why are you wanting to share this material so bad? What's your angle?

No angle, I've learned a lot from other posters and thought others who are new in business might benefit from some information I came across. I guess I shouldn't have posted on several threads but I know everyone doesn't read every thread.

Normally i would just start by introducing myself, then confirm that they are the owners. I usually target neighborhoods near my home so I would let them know that I live close by and I'm just looking to see how I can better serve my community. Next I would say "I know insurance can be pretty boring to talk about sometimes but I just have a couple questions, should only take 20 seconds".. and so on. Though I tend to always change my wording depending on who opens the door.

I apologize for the late reply back to this quote. Aside from that, sounds like you simply door knock, without leads. Definitely, a low-cost solution just cost a little time, some gas (maybe), and some steps on your fitbit (if you have one lol).

Well, I know that it has been a while so I'm going to ask you another question. Have you gotten into the actual home yet using your approach? Are you still struggling?

Back