How To Step Back - What Do You Do All Day

Again, I got in this for the money....I actually really hate the business. It's tedious, transactional, stressful etc. I do not enjoy what I do all day. I have friends who make nothing compared to me but they're truly happy in what they do. I need to get this on autopilot & do something else. I'm becoming a jaded a$$hole because of this business & dealing w/ people all day. I'm too consumed with my monthly premium counter & nothing else.

Shawn called this for months now & it's here.

I'd rather spend my time searching for acquisitions then being the front line producer. I can catch one every 2 years and prob make more money then producing it myself. Not sure how you old timers stay in this so long.

It happens all the time with the truly motivated. (Top Competitors)

They put their head down and don't stop until the goal is reached. For some that is 500 households, for others it is 200k a year. But they put their head down and do it. (I always look at these guys and gals as former great athletes who understand their body and life.) They chant to themselves, I am a machine and machines Don't need to stop, don't need to breathe, legs don't get tired, sleep is not needed, I tell myself when we stop, My body does not tell me when to stop.)

Then....

They burn out. They get to their goal and don't know how to transition from the producers desk to the Owners office and you have to or you will be like Ins1822.5

Time to evolve Ins1239 or you will not be happy long term. You will be the *** friend that pretends to be happy at the semi annual Man camp, but they will know you turned into a rich A$$ who lost his soul, and ability to be happy. Don't lose youe soul and find the way to transition to the Owners office.

I know you like to point out to everyone that you make more than me (Which is true) ....But you are miserable.

^ YA....well at least I'm paying attention & making proactive efforts to hire & get to autopilot so I'm not "that guy." I'm 31 too so I think I caught it early

I'm a bit younger and not at that point yet. Would like to get there by your age but I think it may also be that you've been doing personal lines for so long too. The commercial stuff keeps me intrigued and I enjoy building relationships with those clients a bit more. You'd also be better off elephant hunting for big accounts than searching out acquisitions although acquisitions should always be in the back of the mind.

^ YA....well at least I'm paying attention & making proactive efforts to hire & get to autopilot so I'm not "that guy." I'm 31 too so I think I caught it early

I figured you were at least 50, not my age. If you don't get your rage/stress/whatever in check, you're going to have a heart attack before 50. You can literally afford to relax, it's not worth it.

Obviously the hiring, stepping back and blah blah is good. Nothing you didn't already know and decide to act on. You're a smart guy and it sounds like you have some room for error; that part will work out.

I've seen in some of your posts that you spend almost all of your time sitting at a desk and you're not in the physical condition you used to be. That probably has as much to do with how you're feeling as the monotony of insurance.

Think about it. You had the (smart) goal of being wealthy. Now, not only do you have that but you have the potential to stay wealthy without having to do much compared to the grind you're used to. You may be at a point where your wealth can perpetuate itself (acquisitions) as long as you don't really mess it up. The average person is thrilled if they make it half that far after 40 years of working something just as monotonous. You're whining about it, yet you're the type of person to call out whiners. What gives?

My guess is your extreme inactivity for long periods of time is having psychological effects. Do what you know needs to be done in terms of hiring and delegating, but spend a week figuring out how to get yourself out of the chair. Take walks while you're making calls that don't require immediate data input. Go to the gym in the afternoon. Put a basketball hoop in your office, get a stand up desk, whatever. It's going to take a little while to get the "autopilot" set up and running, but I'd bet if you spend a month focusing on the physicality of your work week you'll feel better much faster.

lol I appreciate the input & I'm not some fat slob who sits back and doesn't do anything active. I just finally hit the point where I make the money I need to make & I realize that I don't want to keep doing what I'm doing (grinding out.)

I just need to invest time into identifying/interviewing guys who's operation is on full autopilot & then take action to get there. I don't like the idea of stepping away because I mean...this is my baby. I've known things get to this direction & it will require a transition into learning to manage people opposed to grind out new business.

Sure...hire/delegate/set expectations/train/motivate etc. But I want to really make sure I do this the right way. So again, gonna target those guys and visit those shops and gather intel in my alliance and ....start being a turd who manages instead of writes business.

Shawn likes to bust my chops, but I know this transition can't be taken lightly & my skills are closing business...not managing people. So....gotta learn a new skill.

For you old timers & people who's books are making you enough money that you don't care anymore & value time over money...how & what do you do?

Just hire a manager persay & put goals on them? Just stop taking new business unless it's creme de la creme? What is life like outside of the grind?

I'll grow by $1,300,000 in premium this year which means next year I'm taking a pay raise that I don't even need. I want to start the process of stepping back. Will carrier's talk if my production just haults? In my state they say after being appointed for 4 years, carriers really can't do anything to you.

My plan is to flip on all carrier service centers and.....just be done with this. Done with it all. Anybody have their agency on autopilot entirely & if so...what do you do all day w/ your time?

Well I for one am just beginning and would love to know how to put on 1.3 million in premium in one year. That is impressive!!

Back