Humana going JIT on state appointments

Tkruger

Guru
1000 Post Club
Nationwide
I'm seeing st appointments being terminated even if I have existing business in that state. Anyone have the skinny on what's going on with this?

Same thing has happened to me. I can’t get a straight answer on if they are keeping my renewals either.

Therein lies the question.Info states <You are no longer authorized to sell, solicit, negotiate, be a writing agent, agent of record or in any manner or capacity represent these entities>

Eludes to AOR being lost meaning no renewals. I have a hierarchy I have to work with so calling them direct won't yeild the results I want...

Humana historically isn't agent friendly. They allow internal agents to steal business. My biggest question is are these still my clients and will I get comped on the sales? This includes AEP enrollments.

From a carrier perspective, any carrier, policyholders are THEIR clients, not yours. Too many carriers view agents as superfluous. The best way for an agent to protect THEIR business is to spread as much of it around as you can. Keep your clients best interest in mind. Move them to another plan or carrier as needed.

Carriers that want to play heavy handed will find out fairly quickly the agent community will not only dial back new business, but will move healthy clients elsewhere leaving the sick folks behind.

Carriers only THINK they have relationships with their policyholders and they are dead wrong.

I've been told they are doing this to save money on the appointment fees. If you do write new business in a non-res state they will appoint you for that as soon as you write it.

Of course, I've not been able to get a good answer on them cancelling the non-res state appointments where agents have business already. I think they must have a huge snafu going on. Sure what it looks like!

Just kinda giving an update that the only answer I'm finding as well is "If you write business they will immediately appoint you again". The wording in the email is extremely confusing. You aren't allowed to sell, but if you do we'll appoint you. After I inquired about the first email we probably all saw.

Here is what I was told :

"We are currently going through a state-by-state initiative to reduce the number of unused entity appointments that agents hold to ensure that agents aren’t billed for those costs in 2018.

The entity appointments that are being terminated are those where the agents have not produced. All licenses and lines of authority (as well as appointments for entities for which they’re actively representing us) remain active.

If the producer were to quote a product for one of the terminated entities in the future, we have automated processes in place to establish a new appointment for such entity.

Existing/renewal business will continue to be paid commissions and your overall contract status remains active."

I have had this happen with Mutual of Omaha and some smaller companies. They still pay renewals. All they are doing is trying to save on appointment fees.

Back