Humana

agentjhc

Guru
1000 Post Club
Certification stinks. I breezed through UHC and CIGNA but Humana has a bunch of piddling sections you have to go through. It isn't intellectually difficult, just mind numbing.

I've been what Humana considers a MECA (Medicare exclusive contracted agent) for about 3 years now and so I have approx. 400 clients with them who live in the 5 counties around me. Recently the only hospital within those five counties has decided that they are no longer going to accept any of Humana's plans, therefore I have moved my contracting with Humana from captive to independent. I'm in the process of getting appointed with all the other carriers through an FMO so that I will be able to service all my existing book of business. Busy AEP to say the least. Right now Humana is last on my list of doing certifications for. I almost wish this had been a plan exit just so I could have switched many of my clients to a guaranteed issue med supp.

I've been what Humana considers a MECA (Medicare exclusive contracted agent) for about 3 years now and so I have approx. 400 clients with them who live in the 5 counties around me. Recently the only hospital within those five counties has decided that they are no longer going to accept any of Humana's plans, therefore I have moved my contracting with Humana from captive to independent. I'm in the process of getting appointed with all the other carriers through an FMO so that I will be able to se8rvice all my existing book of business. Busy AEP to say the least. Right now Humana is last on my list of doing certifications for. I almost wish this had been a plan exit just so I could have switched many of my clients to a guaranteed issue med supp.

If they are healthy enough to qualify medically and want a supp, plan G makes the most sense which isn't GI. Plus guarantee issue supps pays little or no commissions in most states.

I've been what Humana considers a MECA (Medicare exclusive contracted agent) for about 3 years now and so I have approx. 400 clients with them who live in the 5 counties around me. Recently the only hospital within those five counties has decided that they are no longer going to accept any of Humana's plans, therefore I have moved my contracting with Humana from captive to independent. I'm in the process of getting appointed with all the other carriers through an FMO so that I will be able to service all my existing book of business. Busy AEP to say the least. Right now Humana is last on my list of doing certifications for. I almost wish this had been a plan exit just so I could have switched many of my clients to a guaranteed issue med supp.

What area are you in?

You better read that exclusive contract you signed. I'm willing to bet there is a non-compete/non-solicitation clause in there. It will say something along the lines of you aren't allowed to contact your prior clients and replace their coverage.

Of course, the majority of those people will likely be terminating their coverage due to the exit of the hospital, but you better make sure your prior contract doesn't restrict you or you could end up spending some of that new found commission on legal fees.

That's when you get a buddy agent who will contact them and invite them to a seminar mtg. Then he writes and you split afterwards.

Back