I’m not in favor of IULs.

REI_Velocity

Expert
For anyone looking to leverage their cash value or if they’re just looking for max cash value over the long haul, I don’t see how IULs will last long term… and definitely I don’t see how they are the best option for 99% of people.

There are so many warning flags with them but agents love selling them. I won’t.

Why do you like or dislike them? If you like them and think they are the BEST vehicle for your clients financial future, why is that? Please base your info on facts and real outcomes, not mere illustrations or unsubstantiated promises.

** shots fired! **

so-it-begins-popcorn-mode-time-meme.jpg

One of the things you're asking is about policy structure. As one particular poster has pointed out, apparently *I* don't understand IUL.

One thing about IUL that is somewhat troubling, is that the risks in the policy... are also dictated by the insurer.

With VUL, there are selected mutual fund sub-accounts... and they rise and fall as they do.

With IUL, the index segments are managed by the insurer and their portfolio, option strike pricing, etc. The insurer sets the terms of the risk to be managed in the policy... which I'm reasonably convinced that most agents don't necessarily understand.

Now, while @scagnt83 and I have had colossal debates and arguments back and forth... he is a true expert in IUL. If anyone is going to refute your post... he will.

Dont like IULs? Dont sell them. Who cares?

Someone once said you have to compare apples to apples. Comparing WL to IUL is not apples to apples. Or at least its comparing a granny smith to a red delicious if you really want to argue that all life insurance is apples.

UL and its various forms are a tool.
Some tools are not the right fit for everyones needs.
Some makers of tools make a much better tool than others.
And some "experts" in tools barely understand the tool better than the client.

Last edited:
Now, while @scagnt83 and I have had colossal debates and arguments back and forth... he is a true expert in IUL. If anyone is going to refute your post... he will.

While I appreciate that sentiment, I consider myself just as much an expert at IUL as I am with any other life insurance product. I sell just as much WL as I do IUL. We just get to talk more about IUL around here I think because so many agents just dont understand it.

At its core, IUL is just life insurance.

The major reasons to utilize UL in general (regardless the flavor) are often lost on those who bash it for no reason.

Refute their post? Not me. I could care less what they do with their bias.

Now if they start making untrue statements, sure I might chime in and correct factual inaccuracies.

But changing biased opinions of other agents is something I got over a while ago. His mind is made up, he knows what he knows and not a bit more, so I wish him well.

Last edited:
Dont like IULs? Dont sell them. Who cares?

Someone once said you have to compare apples to apples. Comparing WL to IUL is not apples to apples. Or at least its comparing a granny smith to a red delicious if you really want to argue that all life insurance is apples.

UL and its various forms are a tool.
Some tools are not the right fit for everyones needs.
Some makers of tools make a much better tool than others.
And some "experts" in tools barely understand the tool better than the client.

I get it, but can you tell us why you would push an IUL to a client? Say I was a potential client, I said I could afford 20k a year and I wanted to use my cash value and have the best growth and value for the future. What options would you present?

I care because many people are getting shafted.

While I appreciate that sentiment, I consider myself just as much an expert at IUL as I am with any other life insurance product. I sell just as much WL as I do IUL. We just get to talk more about IUL around here I think because so many agents just dont understand it.

At its core, IUL is just life insurance.

The major reasons to utilize UL in general (regardless the flavor) are often lost on those who bash it for no reason.

Refute their post? Not me. I could care less what they do with their bias.

Now if they start making untrue statements, sure I might chime in and correct factual inaccuracies.

But changing biased opinions of other agents is something I got over a while ago. His mind is made up, he knows what he knows and not a bit more, so I wish him well.

What would be the best arguments for IUL as compared to WL or another product to grow and protect cash while having a growing death benefit?

I’ve studied this in depth but always want to learn. I may not be seeing something.

Back