I am so tired of dealing with rude people

billyb

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
I had a lady that I had seen in April call me on Tuesday and wanted a policy on her husband so I drove 2 hours yesterday to write it. When I arrived he answered the door and was very rude. He didn't know his wife had called and was reluctant to let me in. After words back and forth she told him to shut up and complete the application. He did, but he was an not happy. Then late afternoon I dropped by to deliver a couple their policies and found another rude resident. I always tell people after I make a sale that I will drop by in 2 weeks to deliver the policy and they always say OK. This guy looked like steam was going to come out his ears. He said I should have called first. He snatched the polices out of my hand and slammed the door. I left thinking these contracts will probably lapse soon. I am so tired of these rude people. My appointment setter quit because she said it takes so long to even get the leads to answer and when they do most are very rude. Do any of you set an appointment to deliver a policy or should I just start mailing them to the client?

There's a lot of variables involved and each situation should be handled on its own merits.

When spouse calls and wants insurance on the other spouse, I suggest asking to talk to the prospective insured "just to get preliminary information for the file" (or any other reasonable excuse). Then you'll know what the prospect's view is and you might save yourself a long trip if you meet with rudeness at the getgo.

Under the circumstances you describe it was a foregone conclusion that you would get the same reception on the second visit so mailing the policies would have been a good idea.

Adjust your responses to the particular situation.

As for calling on leads, statistically you're going to get rejection on most of them (politely or impolitely) so whoever calls on them should have a thicker skin than your previous appointment setter.

I would give the client a call and say your policy is in and ask would you like me to personally deliver or mail it to you.....and send certified.......

I do a lot of door knocking on leads. If I door knocked the lead to begin with, and they were polite and receptive on that visit, I have no problem dropping by with the policy. If they were sold by appointment originally, then by all means make an appointment for delivery.

I'm an advocate of personally delivering the policy in order to go over it with the client. However, if there's a reason that I can't make a personal delivery within a few days, I will call them to let them know it's issued and on its way in the mail.

If it weren't for door knocking I would never be able to contact these leads. I had an experienced appointment setter and she couldn't get them on the phone. I know several agents she calls for and she has no issues with them. All of the sales I made this week resulted from a door knock. The few appointments that she was able to set over a month or so many were no shows so it was a waste of time. Like I said I tell the client I will stop by in 2 weeks with their policy so they should be expecting me. Probably will start mailing them unless they have a requirement.

I always, with very few exceptions, have mine mailed directly from the company..... After taking the app, I'll mail a thank you.... upon approval of the app by underwriting I call to congratulate.... then they receive the policy direct.

I had a lady that I had seen in April call me on Tuesday and wanted a policy on her husband so I drove 2 hours yesterday to write it. When I arrived he answered the door and was very rude. He didn't know his wife had called and was reluctant to let me in. After words back and forth she told him to shut up and complete the application. He did, but he was an not happy. Then late afternoon I dropped by to deliver a couple their policies and found another rude resident. I always tell people after I make a sale that I will drop by in 2 weeks to deliver the policy and they always say OK. This guy looked like steam was going to come out his ears. He said I should have called first. He snatched the polices out of my hand and slammed the door. I left thinking these contracts will probably lapse soon. I am so tired of these rude people. My appointment setter quit because she said it takes so long to even get the leads to answer and when they do most are very rude. Do any of you set an appointment to deliver a policy or should I just start mailing them to the client?
You may have caught them in the middle of something or when they were having a bad day. Don't let it bother you. I have only had two doors slammed in my face.. One was an existing policyholder that I called on when I first took over the debit.. Went back later in the day and collected from the husband... Found out there was supposed to be a note on the page not to call during the daytime (there wasn't). The lady worked at night and was a day sleeper. Over the next couple of years we became friends but I never called during the day again.

I always, with very few exceptions, have mine mailed directly from the company..... After taking the app, I'll mail a thank you.... upon approval of the app by underwriting I call to congratulate.... then they receive the policy direct.

How do you handle delivery receipts?

Back