I bet CA Ins. Commissioner Dave Jones was GIDDY with this one

DHK

RFC®, ChFC®, CLU®
5000 Post Club
Department issues cease and desist order to NRA for marketing insurance without a license

Department issues cease and desist order to NRA for marketing insurance without a license
News: 2018 Press Release

For Release: September 11, 2018
Media Calls Only: 916-492-3566
Email Inquiries: [email protected]
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The California Department of Insurance (CDI) today issued a Cease and Desist Order to the National Rifle Association of America (NRA). The order alleges the NRA marketed an insurance product in California without being licensed to do so.

All persons soliciting the purchase of insurance products in California are required to be licensed by CDI. The NRA sponsors the Carry Guard Personal Firearms Liability Including Self-Defense Insurance Policy. This product provides coverage for bodily injury or property damages that result from the legal use of a firearm.

"The California Department of Insurance insists on full compliance with California law that requires persons soliciting the purchase of insurance in California must be appropriately licensed to do so," said Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones. "Because the NRA allegedly failed to comply with this California legal requirement, it became necessary for the department to take this action against the NRA to end this illegal conduct in California."

In the order, CDI alleges the NRA sent emails to mailing list subscribers featuring NRA spokesperson Dana Loesch and NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre explaining why the recipient should buy the policy and outlining policy specifics. The Insurance Code prohibits a person from soliciting or negotiating insurance policies in California without a valid license. The NRA has never held an insurance license in California.

The NRA may request an administrative hearing to review the order.

# # #

The California Department of Insurance, established in 1868, is the largest consumer protection agency in California. Insurers collect $310 billion in premiums annually in California. Since 2011 the California Department of Insurance received more than 1,000,000 calls from consumers and helped recover over $469 million in claims and premiums. Please visit the Department of Insurance website at www.insurance.ca.gov. Non-media inquiries should be directed to the Consumer Hotline at 800.927.4357. Telecommunications Devices for the Deaf (TDD), please dial 800.482.4833.

Whether it's true or not, having seen how much he supports climate change and stuff, I bet he couldn't WAIT to get this press release out.

OK so you guys are willing to give the NRA a pass on licensing their product and their representatives? OK then. What would have done differently Greensky if you were IC? They weren't licensed, selling product in your state. What differently would you do?

I don't want anybody who isn't licensed selling products in my state period. I already saw this with Zane Benefits in my state where unlicensed "agents" were selling health insurance plans. How or what is the difference between two entities selling in your state without a license? WA slapped Zane with a cease order and a large fine. I am very much OK with that and our OIC doing the same to the NRA. If I gotta license and buy e&o they should too. Or am I wrong in thinking this?

No, I'm not willing to give ANYBODY a pass on the laws. That actually wasn't my point.

I'm just making the point that I bet Dave Jones was GIDDY to get this out. Dave Jones is certainly a very left-winger attending all these "climate change" conferences and stuff... and I'm sure he loved doing it as "part of the left-wing cause". That's all.

Still going on. Similar action in CA and maybe PA.

These things take longer than death row appeals to work their way through the system. Only on TV can the culprit be caught, tried and convicted inside of an hour.

Back