If You Had to Pick .. DM or TM Leads

What is better: 1) A 10:1 ROI on Steve leads? Total investment $250. 2) 5:1 ROI on E-64s? Total investment $500.

Depends on which is closer and easier to sell.

I personally never worry about ROI. If I end my month with a pile of money and had a pretty enjoyable week, I don't care much about anything else.

posted by newby

"I personally never worry about ROI. If I end my month with a pile of money and had a pretty enjoyable week, I don't care much about anything else."

Dito

I have always felt if agents spent more time learning how to sell and close and less time crunching numbers, they would make more money.

As far as the original post goes. I much prefer working tm leads and for 5 or 6 years 95% of the time that is what I do. I usually work an area for 5 to 9 months and then move on to a different area.

When I was new to the business I was trained by a company out of Detroit that charged us $10 per card and taught us to pretend we were there to help them with Medicaid/medicare and then, as an afterthought, hit them up on FE coverage. I always hated it and so that is probably why I dislike working cards so much. If I spent a little time working cards the right way I might grow to like them better. But as of now I strongly prefer tm leads.

Fresh is Best

What!? Misleading? Seriously?

You must be joking.

Return on investment is the least misleading metric going. It allows you to objectively assess various marketing tactics. For true business pros, it's where the rubber meets the road.

What Rearden said was pretty close to the way I look at it.

300 dollar budget

A buys 10 TM leads at 15 dollars apiece, has a 5/1 ROI ends up with 750 plus the 150 he didn't spend. Total he has 900 dollars.

B buys 10 dm leads at 30 dollars apiece, has 5/1 ROI ends up with 1500 dollars.

Obviously, we can go buy a bunch of aged leads and have a great ROI, but it would eat up more time. Like the old argument on this forum about not buying leads and the lead-buyers, always say you have to factor in time; therefore, in their eyes buying leads > other forms of prospecting.

Forgive me if this looks like crap, do on IPAD.

What is better: 1) A 10:1 ROI on Steve leads? Total investment $250. 2) 5:1 ROI on E-64s? Total investment $500.

Steve leads you would make $2500-$250, so $2250 for the week.

E64 $2500-$500, so $2000 for the week.

Steve leads you would make $2500-$250, so $2250 for the week.

E64 $2500-$500, so $2000 for the week.

That's assuming one lead is better or worse than the other. The lead that gets me in front of interested people is the best. Doesn't matter how it was originated, TM, DM, avatar, the new abyss leads I just heard about:biggrin:, smoke signals or whatever.

300 dollar budget
If you had an acceptably high enough ROI, why would a "budget" be important? Why would you limit yourself?

A buys 10 TM leads at 15 dollars apiece, has a 5/1 ROI ends up with 750 plus the 150 he didn't spend. Total he has 900 dollars.

B buys 10 dm leads at 30 dollars apiece, has 5/1 ROI ends up with 1500 dollars.
In order to be valid as a comparison, both you and Reardon's examples would need to be the same investment. Otherwise, it's just goofing around with numbers.

I have a 2 part answer . In the first 6-8 weeks I'd take the 80 Tm leads as I could probably stay within a 100 mile radius of home. After that to get 80 tm leads every week would probably require a 200-500 mile radius to generate that many leads weekly.After that I'd switch to Dm leads.Whats nice about dm leads is you can pick 8-12 counties and basically work that your whole career. Just pick all the zips in those 12 counties and mail them in order and when you get to the end of the list just start over.Its a giant loop.I have a rolling file folder with 12 counties. Each county has a hanging file with 2 files in it. One of the files is for calling and one is for door knocking. So let's say tommorrow I have 8 appts in a county A. Just grab that door knocking folder and bring it with me. I can scrub and app in 3-5 minutes now and rarely make mistakes . Every night I come home I scrub my apps and fax them in.My wife is my appt setter so she has all my appts ready and loads them in my gps plus she has copies of all my dk' and loads them in the gps. I have 2 gps's. One Gps stays at home which my wife uses to load all appt addresses and she loads 4-6 door knocking addresses in there . Each morning we switch out gps's..I have a few more tricks I'll share with the board at a later date.

Sounds like you've got it down to a science Petey.:yes:

If you had an acceptably high enough ROI, why would a "budget" be important? Why would you limit yourself?

In order to be valid as a comparison, both you and Reardon's examples would need to be the same investment. Otherwise, it's just goofing around with numbers.

We have the time factor involved. If not for time, door knocking and aged leads would be king.

ROI would be a very important thing to know IF your lead budget was a fixed amount and if lead volume was a fixed amount. I personally find ROI in and of itself to be about the last thing an agent needs to be thinking about. The number one thing they need to be thinking about what is their net profit at the end of each period they are accounting for. For the successful FE producer neither lead budget nor lead volume is a constraint as they have the cash flow to literally buy more leads than they could ever hope to work. The only real variable is just how hard they feel like working.

Back