Illinois's ABE Exchange-Marketplace

Thanks, Bill. I didn't think it would be possible to get one big 'FFE' basket and throw all the carriers in for all to choose from.

All I know this is total BS that we don't know if in IL we will be able to sell in & out of the exchange yet. Nothing is really being disclosed & October is right around the corner.

A well-written and easy to understand report from May 28th that illustrates the up-to 197% IFP premium increase in Illinois.

http://center-forward.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ACA-Impact-Analysis-IL_2013-05-28.pdf

The chart on page 9 and also at the end of the document are very revealing. It looks like the Millman Group had access to requested Illinois "Metal" premiums from insurers, because the numbers and wording is much more specific than in prior Millman assessments.

It's becoming clearer why Illinois Exchange and Government officials are so tight-lipped about the requested premiums. Even if you are low-income and receive a subsidy, you will likely pay significantly more than you're paying today for health insurance in this state.. and most other states as well.
-ac

P.S. Both the KAISER and the BERKLEY subsidy calculators illustrate premiums that are lower than what the above report says Illinois premiums will be for the typical family of 4.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wouldn't be surprised if Illinois denied (or lost) at least a couple of the 6 carriers that have applied to be on the state exchange. In reaction to criticisms of the "skimpy" 2014 provider networks that some companies are declaring in other states, Illinois has added additional Network Access and Size requirements for companies who want to be on the illustrious ABE exchange.

Document Link: http://insurance.illinois.gov/LAH_HMO_IS3_Checklists/documents/NETWORKadequacydocument.pdf

I don't think some of the requirements are logistically possible. For instance, there must be 1 Primary Care Provider for every 1,000 enrollees and each enrollee must be within 30 miles of a Primary Care Provider. And there are actually insurance companies that WANT a part of this ACA Exchange madness in 2014?!?

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if Illinois denied (or lost) at least a couple of the 6 carriers that have applied to be on the state exchange. In reaction to criticisms of the "skimpy" 2014 provider networks that some companies are declaring in other states, Illinois has added additional Network Access and Size requirements for companies who want to be on the illustrious ABE exchange.

I don't think some of the requirements are logistically possible. For instance, there must be 1 Primary Care Provider for every 1,000 enrollees and each enrollee must be within 30 miles of a Primary Care Provider. And there are actually insurance companies that WANT a part of this ACA Exchange madness in 2014?!?

That's fine for Chicagoland the collar counties, but downstate is where they will feel this most of all. You could have something similar to the Aetna plans that were geared toward the metro Chicago area (can't remember their name off the top of my head) that provided REALLY thin networks.

The other question about that is whether or not the PCP is going to be forced to take on new patients, or if they will just act as HMO PCPs do now and not accept new patients.

Oh, and the ABE exchange is seeing problems:

Illinois insurance marketplace stalls again - Springfield, IL - The State Journal-Register
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Also, for those of you who are smarter and more up-to-date on the exchanges than I am, how will this affect what carriers do and don't participate in IL?

From what my small brain is able to comprehend, this means that a lot of the regulation will now switch from the state to the feds. Included in that is the inability for IL to "punish" carriers and attempt to restrict rates, similar to what CA has attempted to accomplish, right?

Last edited:

Illinois requested and received a joint Federal-State exchange for 2014 due to lack of funds and time. It looks like the bill that keeps getting stalled is for Illinois to take over the Exchange from HHS and run it themselves in 2015.

I hope Illinois never assumes responsibility for its Insurance Exchange, or it will screw it up the way it did the PCIP program, which it ran as IPXP (llinois Preexisting Insurance Plan). Illinois turned down most applicants and still found a way to drain the pool of $$$ dry.

Seems like the Illinois ABE Exchange never got off the ground. Due to Illinois's Exchange creation dysfunctionality, credit rating decrease and all-around incompetence, it looks like the FEDS will be running the show here on October 1, 2013.

Excerpt from the newly revamped www.HealthCare.gov

"Health Insurance Marketplace in Illinois
If you live in Illinois, you’ll use this website, HealthCare.gov, to apply for coverage, compare plans, and enroll. You can apply as early as October 1, 2013. Learn more about the Marketplace and how you can get ready."

-ac

July 12, 2013

A mini-update. With less than 88 days before the ABE Exchange officially opens for enrollment, Illinois has finally awarded $$$ to an advertising agency..Fleishman-Hillard.

Anyway, the important item of note from the Press Release is that HUMANA is #4 of the 6 companies that applied to sell on the Illinois ABE Exchange. Prior to today, we only knew of 3.

Source: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...H04oAI&usg=AFQjCNG3mHm79nxDCfAMDuijbFvj_frmOQ

Excerpt: "They'll be able to choose from among up to 165 plans offered by six insurers, according to the state, which has until the end of the month to vet plans and recommend approval to the federal government.

The insurers who have said they submitted plans include Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois, Coventry Health Care Inc., Humana Inc., and Land of Lincoln Health."

-ac

Back