I'm Giving Up The Ghost

Hey Guys,
I'm giving up the ghost, quitting. I can't do it. I don't understand how you guys can handle it. I completely respect anyone who can, but I definitely can't.

I'm going back to Web design. I built successful Web sites for fourteen years; gave it up when I thought the Internet marketing game had become too dirty. But after a good look at the rest of the world, including the health insurance industry, I've changed my mind.

At least when I advise a client on Web strategies, I know I'm giving the best advice; I know I'm an expert - I know what I'm talking about and if I make a mistake, I can easily correct it.

To those here who've tried to help me, thank you. I wish I could have made it, but insurance isn't my native world and I need to go home.

If anyone here needs help with their Web Site: design, redesign, SEO, etc., PM me, or contact me through the Sites in my sig. I guarantee you a good deal and the best, most comprehensive, well informed strategies possible.

Jeff

I was referred to Jeff a couple of months ago and he is now my "web guru." If you take a look at my sites (especially the "California" site) you'll see the work he does.

He redesigned things to be seen by google, set up my blog and is doing SEO. I have absolutely no internet skills and I am convinced Jeff will help me become rich!

Rick

Wow Jeff, that's too bad. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.

This business is mighty tough, and in the beginning people are under intense pressure to produce (at least if they want to eat).

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Makes me think of a quote I used in my newsletter "Quote of the Month" recently:

"Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, only this time more intelligently."

Sorry to hear of your departure from the business but I wish you all the best. This business isn't for everyone. All types fail and succeed in this business. Some people rocket to success because they are naturally gifted, charismatic, and work hard. Others plod along barely surviving but eventually succeed because they perservere and don't give up. John Savage was one of the life insurance sales all time greats but it took him 9 years to really succeed. What if he would have given up after 6 months???!!

My observation is I think it has to get in your blood, you have got to want to do it, and failure cannot be an option. Isn't it always a rush to close a sale and doesn't it feel good to think that you have helped someone?

Best of luck to you Jeff. It never hurts to "Dance with the one that brung yah" My guess is that if you tried your best for a decent amount of time, even though you weren't successful at this line of business, you probably boosted your work ethic a lot.

Hold onto that and apply it to you web design, and I'm sure you'll do great!

This business kind of mystifies me. I never thought I would be doing it. I was a printer for 25years. The licensing classes and books are the most boring written documents on the face of the earth. We don't need Xanax, just give everyone with a sleep problem a State insurance law book at bedtime. Works faster.
When people here me talk about it, they say it's boring.
But everyday, when I get a potential client, it's like solving a puzzle. All of the pieces have to fit. Figuring out the best situation for a person isn't always easy. Nobody but an agent realizes what goes into it or the pressure & responsibility you face when basically choosing coverage for a family to protect their health and assets.
On top of that you have to build a huge trust factor with a complete stranger that you probably haven't seen face to face.
Call me strange, but I get a rush out of solving the puzzle and knowing I'm helping someone big time, even if they don't realize it.
:cool:

Jerry, that's a beautiful perspective and an excellent attitude. I wish I could have experienced it. I never felt I had mastered the genuine knowledge, nor the resources to be certain I had been advising clients accurately. The more I learned, the less confident I became that I had been offering true value through the carriers to which I had been appointed.

I had left the Internet Marketing world because, I felt at the time, that it had become too dark and predatory. I selected health insurance because it seemed respectable, involved a license and offered continued autonomy - and because I'm reaching an age when an alternate route might involve learning to put one paper bag inside of another.

I found this business even more predatory than IM, but found myself lost in unfamiliar territory.

The twenty-first century business world may have become a sewer, but in Web Business Development, at least I know how to recognize the floaters and close my mouth in time.

I deeply respect you and the people in this forum. You are able to accomplish what I could not in spite of the constant pressures and changes.

It may not be much easier in the Web biz, but at least there I am confident in my expertise.

Thanx everyone for the good wishes. If you need any Web advice, just give a call.
Jeff

Back