In an accident. Other driver offers to pay out of pocket rather than go through insurer.

If I scratch a vehicle in a parking lot with my door or a bag on my shoulder, then yes I agree that I would offer to pay out of pocket. If the collision involves my vehicle and someone hits me then I also agree that I do not need to involve my insurance carrier even though my policy states I must report any accident involving my vehicle. But by doing so I have removed the protection afforded by my carrier and I have removed my protectiuon provided by the other person's carrier. Here is an example: He hits me and I accept $300 to cover the cost of repairing my bumper cover. I find out a few days later that the repair will be 800.00 and I call asking for more money. He says no and tells his insurance carrier that he did not hit me. i am out the additional money because I went around the insurance companies. But you do things your way and I will advise my customers to do things the proper way. My customer might pay a slightly higher premium but won't be non-renewed or left holding a repair bill. Done talking about this.

Apparently you don't care much about people who has small or minimum damage in their vehicles, whereas by their fault or by the other driver's fault, you just want people to be punished beyond the penalty of paying for the damage.

In many cases the bumpers have scratches and even dents in most cars. And these damages are mostly when they park in the street, and their cars are hit by other drivers parking and hitting bumpers when doing so.

Usually, with the knowledge that their bumpers are already damaged, when somebody hits them in traffic and more scratches are made to their bumpers, they just try to take advantage and want to imply the repair or replacement of the whole bumper, and worst of it is the fact they actually can do that.

And usually a cash amount of money below the total repair is satisfactory for them.

You just can't measure all accidents using the same ruler. And the problem is not even the driver's fault but the brand car company.

You see, up to the 70's bumpers where the part of the car made with the sole purpose of protecting the front and back of the car. These were made with chrome finish and were harder to be damaged by small hits.

On the other hand, new cars have bumpers with the same purpose but require of extreme care because are plastic and are painted same color of the car.

And worst are, for example, the new Toyota cars, when they practically have eliminated the front bumper and they have the front grill replacing the bumper place at the front of their cars. Another driver can back up and damage that front grill and will have to pay for the whole "ornament", and if he pays no attention and left the place, that is considered "hit and run", even when the incident happened when he was parking and his car has no back up camera.

Point is that yes, one has the risk of receiving lesser compensation for small scratches in their cars, specially when those happen on the sides, like the doors, but when is about bumpers... come on, if it is a scratch and in a parking lot, I myself have let go the other driver free.

Let me tell you my experience in a mall. A huge truck was backing up after the driver found out he passed by the entrance for his truck going to the back of the stores. I was behind him and his truck started to push back my car. He heard the honk of my car and he stop backing up. After seeing the damage, which was a pushed bumper on its corner, he first denied any fault, so I called the police.

While police was on his way, we start to talk and he was young, I asked him about how hard is to obtain a CDL license, and he explained me his experience. I asked him what will happen to him after the police report, he told me he will lose his job because he just have 6 months driving experience.

I told him for keep waiting for the police but when he arrives I will tell him we have settled an agreement and he is no longer needed. And that is what happened.

After the police officer left, I told him to keep going his way and I went to my car. He approached me and gave me $100 for the damage. I accepted it.

A week later, I called a friend who works in body shop. He put back the plastic cover of the bumper in place and painted that area... for $100 while drinking a few beers.

Listen, no matter how "justified" and "correct" your opinion might be, but just because that accident with small damage I will never ever be the cause for that young guy to lose his job... understood?

Last edited:
Back