In Need of Candid Input- Agent Marketing

erika42607

Hello, all!

I come to this forum seeking candid input from insurance professionals. I work for a family-owned company that provides high quality disaster restoration services and has done so for over 30 years. We have traditionally marketed heavily to insurance agents, but over the last few years have seen significantly decreased success with this channel. Our approach is always based in our desire to share a goal- we want your clients to be happy, as do you. We are frequently hearing int the field that agents are less and less interested in being involved with referring vendors, due to risking their relationship with their client if there is dissatisfaction. I am attempting to sort through this and get some unbiased, unfiltered feedback from agents directly. Is this a legitimate trend? Do you refer your insureds to vendors that market to you? If you do, how do you prefer to be marketed to, and how can value be added to those relationships? Thanks in advance for any input!

Most companies anymore, especially direct writers, have their own preferred network of contractors to use. If the client uses one of the preferred contractors, the companies offer an additional guarantee.

I've even heard adjusters say that if you use a non-program or preferred party for repairs, the client left hanging if there is a problem. In addition, if the preferred facility charges less for the same service, the client has to pay the balance.

I would think you'd be better to go directly to the companies to get on their program, then you won't have an issue with getting the referrals from agents.

Most companies anymore, especially direct writers, have their own preferred network of contractors to use. If the client uses one of the preferred contractors, the companies offer an additional guarantee.

I've even heard adjusters say that if you use a non-program or preferred party for repairs, the client left hanging if there is a problem. In addition, if the preferred facility charges less for the same service, the client has to pay the balance.

I would think you'd be better to go directly to the companies to get on their program, then you won't have an issue with getting the referrals from agents.

Thanks for your input- we are on several of the larger preferred vendor programs for companies like Nationwide, Allstate, etc. However, getting the referrals from the agent level (as opposed to from the insurance company itself) continues to be an issue. We have great success with adjustors- they refer us directly and are our most frequent referral source. The adjustors see our work firsthand and advocate for us- we seem to have trouble getting agents to do the same! Thanks again!

I am not on the PC side but have you formed any relationship with the agents?
Do you take them out to lunch or breakfast?

Business is all about relationships. It blows me away how people look past that.

Business is all about relationships. It blows me away how people look past that.

What ABC said x2. I'm about to set up some partnerships with P & C agents in the Tampa area. It's all relationship building and satisfying the "what's in it for them" question.

Usually a crisp 100 dollar bill works well but start with a nice breakfast.

By the way, any Tampa area P & C agents who want to learn more, PM me.

Erika, it's a highly competitive business. I have restoration co reps in my office constantly begging for biz. While I like a lot of those reps it boils down to the long term relationship and the trust in that company doing it right with high integrity.

I have company A that gets 99% of my business because they have proved over time they are the best and when things go wrong I know who to contact...also, some restoration companies have a reputation of being inconsistent with their pricing and trying to get rich on certain jobs. You gotta remember, contingency bonuses agents get are based on loss ratio and if a company has a bad rep in this area, I will never refer them.

What ABC said x2. I'm about to set up some partnerships with P & C agents in the Tampa area. It's all relationship building and satisfying the "what's in it for them" question.

Usually a crisp 100 dollar bill works well but start with a nice breakfast.

By the way, any Tampa area P & C agents who want to learn more, PM me.

In short- yes! All of our marketing efforts as a company are relationship-based, and my focus is generally how I can establish and add value to those relationships (free CE courses, lunch and learns, following up with agents as active jobs progress, etc.). To no avail.

The company I work for has a great reputation and has been around for a long time because of that. I have not encountered any perception other than that (granted every company has a job now and again that has a few bumps in the road!).

What we are hearing is that the trend is that agents are less and less interested in referral involvement, regardless of my efforts and despite the fact that they like me personally. I am just looking for verification of that?

Thanks so much for the honest feedback- this is exactly what I was hoping for!

Back