Independent Agency Written Premium Employee ratio

Al3x Lee

Guru
I'm curious how many employees your agencies use to manage the book of business? Our agency is relatively small, we focus on Commercial P&C but also have a decent personal lines department with a mix of life.

Currently we have about 15 million in written premium on the books with 11 employees to manage it. Our staff consists of 4 Commercial Producers (one is the owner) 4 Commercial CSRs, 2 personal lines staff, and a book keeper.

It's manageable but would be nice to bring in some more staff to grow the book more.

So I'm curious, how much premium does your agency write and how many staff members are behind it?

Not sure of accuracy as it depends on personal/commercial lines premium load, but I’ve often been told it’s 1.5-2m premium per account manager. I’d be curious to here if others see that as reasonable.

Not sure of accuracy as it depends on personal/commercial lines premium load, but I’ve often been told it’s 1.5-2m premium per account manager. I’d be curious to here if others see that as reasonable.

Of course that depends on some variables, but that math sounds about right. Personal lines will typically need more service work, but again, that depends.

Back