Independent insurance agent

Greenwaters

Hello all, I was working on getting my life and health license and was wondering what it takes to become a insurance agent? How should one go about doing it? Is it profitable? I work on the weekends, and Monday. I dont want to quit my weekend job, cause it pays ok, its convenient, health insurance is good, and it gives me the whole week to get things done. One of those things I want to get done, is selling insurance. I have procrastinated for long enough, and Im ready to break into this industry. Im 36, like to talk, I have some selling experience. All advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.

That all depends on what market and skills you bring to the career. There are too many aspects to this career to answer your question definitively... so here's my (admittedly biased) video on how to choose a market and specialty:

Be ready to work a long time - lots of hours and very little consistant pay until you start building yourself a reputation and a client base or you'll be spending a lot of money buying leads. Don't quit your day job unless you've got enough money socked up so that you can live without a regular income for 3 to 6 months - I've been doing it since 2004 and I finally got into a nice comfortable position with a good reputation and lots of clients but that was hard won with a lot of hard work - be ready for that learning curve and make sure you care about the clients and you're not just in it for the money because you're going to have to be more than just a salesperson if you want to make it in today's Arena- just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Getting your license is the easy part. Here's an online guide on how to do that.

If you need a discount code for your pre-licensing course, go to Examfx.com and use [email protected] as your discount code & you can get the whole video course for only $49!

Now the hard part will be actually getting sales. Most agencies you'll look into will want to sell you leads because they make a profit on them. If I were to go back in time to start over, I would have never spent a dime on leads. Here's a sample training on what it takes to get clients if you don't want to spend money on advertising (hint, it does take some elbow grease!):

Back