Individual Health Application Fee

IF you are selling ACA plans it is a specific and direct violation to charge a fee direct to the consumer for enrolling them.. part of the certification...

Yes, and different state DOIs have rules prohibiting fees if u receive commissions from insurance providers. Better check your state laws too . . .

Yesterday I started charging clients a fee for enrolling them in an individual health plan. (the commissions dropping, and the application process is taking longer, need to repay WBE fees, etc.)

If a client or prospect calls and wants me to research/enroll them into an indy health plan I let them know upfront that there is a health insurance consultation/enrollment fee of $25/individual and $40 for couple or family that must be paid before I search and enroll. If asked why, I let them know that the insurance companies are not paying us enough to enroll people.

It's not much of a fee, but it keeps those that are just researching and have no intention to buy (just getting a quote) away so they won't wastemy time.

So far 8 have paid the fee (which I invoice by paypal) and 3 have said no thanks.

You think the fee is reasonable? Too low, too high? Maybe I should charge more for a UHC enrollment.

This is a potential violation that could take away your license, to do it for chump change is a bad idea.

Well I'll cease for now and check out state rules. I know group brokers in my area do this. It was short term idea as Indy comp will probably be zero for all carriers next year.

Interestingly enough most people were not opposed to paying a fee. The ones that were opposed were usually the ones that qualified for a silver 94% plan and didn't even want to pay the $10 monthly premium.

Back