Individual or Group Health Insurance with Autism Benefits

deg929

Expert
Does anyone have any ideas for group or individual, preferably individual, health plans that include autism benefits, for treatments, therapies, etc?

Thanks!

Most individual policies will have limited or no benefits for autism. If the child is applying for new coverage, there is a chance they will be denied coverage.

Group plans are a better choice if available.

There is a 3rd option if group is not available. Check out the Katie Beckett waiver option in your state.

Thank you so very much for the response!

What is a Katie Beckett waiver? I hate to sound naive, but I have been licensed to sell insurance for 5 years now, but am just now truly gearing up.....lots of circumstances in my life over the past 5 years, but I'm ready to go. I hadn't heard of the Katie Beckett waiver, but I will certainly check it out. I have lots of people in my circle who are looking for this type of coverage for their kids. It would be a real in for me to get my practice up and running if I could be that person for them.

Thank you so very much for the response!

What is a Katie Beckett waiver? I hate to sound naive, but I have been licensed to sell insurance for 5 years now, but am just now truly gearing up.....lots of circumstances in my life over the past 5 years, but I'm ready to go. I hadn't heard of the Katie Beckett waiver, but I will certainly check it out. I have lots of people in my circle who are looking for this type of coverage for their kids. It would be a real in for me to get my practice up and running if I could be that person for them.

I do not believe Arizona allows Katie Beckett waivers (TEFRA)

So there's no invidivdual family policy that has the benefits? What are some of the smaller group plans that offer it?

Not that I know of. Check with the DOI.

Small group will vary by state, but it depends on what is mandated in your state.

According to this document, there are no mandates for autism coverage in AZ. The same document requires it for GA but I do know carriers here will not issue a policy to someone who is autistic. Small group would be different of course.

Back