Insurance Company Mistakenly Issued Me a Check 18 Months Ago

I'm confused.
Who is asking for the money and who is threatening legal action?

I'm assuming the body shop is the one that wants the money and the insurance company is simply confirming they have paid already. If this is the case, it is then your job to pay the body shop.

What is there to work out? You got the check to do the repairs. I'm confused on what the problem is.

Dan

I'm confused.
Who is asking for the money and who is threatening legal action?

I'm assuming the body shop is the one that wants the money and the insurance company is simply confirming they have paid already. If this is the case, it is then your job to pay the body shop.

What is there to work out? You got the check to do the repairs. I'm confused on what the problem is.

Dan

The company that did the repairs is a travelling hail damage outfit based out of Missouri. I am in Alberta. My insurance company had it setup for them to do the repairs and directly charge the insurance company.

I wasn't supposed to get the check. After a year and a half the hail damage company called me looking for money. They said they'd email me instructions and contact info. They never did.

Fast forward a couple months, I get a letter from my insurance company wanting their money back.

Long story short, my insurance company made an error and it's taken them nearly two years to figure it out. Instead of letting me know what's going on, they send me a letter threatening action if I do think pay it back.

The company that did the repairs is a travelling hail damage outfit based out of Missouri. I am in Alberta. My insurance company had it setup for them to do the repairs and directly charge the insurance company.

I wasn't supposed to get the check. After a year and a half the hail damage company called me looking for money. They said they'd email me instructions and contact info. They never did.

Fast forward a couple months, I get a letter from my insurance company wanting their money back.

Long story short, my insurance company made an error and it's taken them nearly two years to figure it out. Instead of letting me know what's going on, they send me a letter threatening action if I do think pay it back.

Well you should not be cashing the check from the start..send the money back case closed or they will send it to collection and place you in Jail.

Yes the carrier made a mistake. However what did you think when you recieved the check and cashed it that it was a bonus for being a good customer. Did you at that time attempt to contact the hail company to make the payment directly yourself? Did you contact the carrier and say what is going on. Or did you say oh goody they made a mistake I am going to cash this check and hope they never catch it.

So, long story short...

Call the company. Maybe the person handling it is out of the office, but speak to someone and get it documented you called.

It is likely they have paid the repair company and want the money back they gave you. While I have no idea if legally they can collect, I do know morally you should repay it. I also know they have a much bigger legal team and vastly deeper pockets than you. The time, money and aggravation you will spend defending it is probably more than they want back.

I will be paying them back.

I was more worried about the ten days and the fact that the person I need to talk to is on vacation.

At first, I'll admit I was thinking "sweet! They screwed up! Free money!" especially after the first year and a half. The statute of limitations here is 2 years.

Now I'm just disappointed that it took them nearly two years to get their **** together and the only correspondence I get is demands and threats without any acknowledgement of the error.

Should I have called them? Of course.

Should they have called me as soon as they pulled their head out of their head out of their ass? Of course. It's their mistake and their money.

I called them and they told me no action will be taken until whatsherface gets back.

I will be paying them back.

I was more worried about the ten days and the fact that the person I need to talk to is on vacation.

At first, I'll admit I was thinking "sweet! They screwed up! Free money!" especially after the first year and a half. The statute of limitations here is 2 years.

Now I'm just disappointed that it took them nearly two years to get their **** together and the only correspondence I get is demands and threats without any acknowledgement of the error.

Should I have called them? Of course.

Should they have called me as soon as they pulled their head out of their head out of their ass? Of course. It's their mistake and their money.

I called them and they told me no action will be taken until whatsherface gets back.

I understand how you feel. I'd probably think the same. They sent me the money, the contractor never gave me the info on how to pay them. Oh well, its mine now.

Just make sure you wrote down who told you that no action would be taken. Also, when you spoke with them. Finally, ask them to email or mail you that as well.

Sorry I didn't sound very sympathetic....I got a check in the mail from my homeowners company through my P&C agent about 6 months ago. So I called my agent and they said I overpaid my premium by so much and to cash the check...Well my homeowners is paid through escrow via my mortgage so called the bank and they informed me they only paid x which was my premium so I called the carrier and told them of the error and they tell me no I overpaid and its my money so after calling all parties twice I forwarded the check to my back signed over to them to be added to my escrow.

Fast forward two weeks and I get a letter from my bank that the check was returned with a stop payment and I was being assessed a fee for the bounced check.

I was pissed called the carrier and they got it worked out with the bank. Long story short we all know when something is not right about money we recieve unexpectedly.

I am calling bullshyt....

they sent you a check 18 MONTHS ago, You didnt cash the check til 12 MONTHS ago....

are you waiting this long to get the car fixed, is the shop waiting this long to get paid for fixing the car?

You thought since you were such a GREAT client, the insurance company decided to send you money, for no reason what so ever?

have another beer dave.....

Back