Insurance Is A Tough Business

Whether a business is tough or easy is the gauge of how confident a person is in him/her self. If you say it's tough, it will be tough, but that's subjective. Look at it as an opportunity for a better lifestyle. You can take the easy way and go back to a go nowhere JOB (just over broke) or you can conquer your fears and take a leap. Do it not only for yourself but for your family. It's amazing how much there is to learn in the insurance business, which is why you think it's tough, and you learn something you will increase YOUR business. Since you like do analyses, get into the financial end with life and annuities. You went through getting a license and working in the business and apparently you need a better outlook. If you go back, one day you'll regret it.

Sheldon - how many appointments are you running each week? This is a numbers game - the more people you see the more sales you make and the money you earn. You don't have to be super-salesguy, just set lots of appointments and the sales happen,

You're right. I'm barely able to get 5 appointments a week on a good week. It's tough as hell for me. I'm thinking of going back to IT and doing security. At least that's easier (for me). Meeting with a client, doing all the paperwork, figuring out what they need, pricing it all etc, that stuff is not hard at all. For me it's talking to people, reading people, that's the part that is tough for me. I've been introverted all my life and tend to avoid people. That's part of why I took on a job like this. To get myself out of my comfort zone and its been about 80% outside of my comfort zone. Maybe I can hire a college intern for $10/hr to make calls for me as I have just about given up on this industry. It all sounds amazing and interesting, just not the people part :P lol

"I've been introverted all my life and tend to avoid people."

IMO, you will have too much to try to overcome to be successful in this business. Get back in IT, and forget about this business.

You're right. I'm barely able to get 5 appointments a week on a good week. It's tough as hell for me. I'm thinking of going back to IT and doing security. At least that's easier (for me). Meeting with a client, doing all the paperwork, figuring out what they need, pricing it all etc, that stuff is not hard at all. For me it's talking to people, reading people, that's the part that is tough for me. I've been introverted all my life and tend to avoid people. That's part of why I took on a job like this. To get myself out of my comfort zone and its been about 80% outside of my comfort zone. Maybe I can hire a college intern for $10/hr to make calls for me as I have just about given up on this industry. It all sounds amazing and interesting, just not the people part :P lol

Things come into focus once you see or deliver a claim. For me currently I am getting a first hand look at the importance of a disability policy.

I am not a licensed insurance agent, but I have worked with insurance agents for many years, originally programming proposal software, then supervising tech support to agents, then as a carrier exec (we built eAMS.com for AMS), then as a tech guy helping agents with internet stuff (Norvax), etc.

I have never sold insurance, I have only tried to help out those who DO sell it.

From the outside looking in, I have a ton of respect for the men and women with the strength to be out there getting it done. Being an insurance agent has got to be one of the most mentally challenging jobs that exist. I dont think I could do it.

"I've been introverted all my life and tend to avoid people."

IMO, you will have too much to try to overcome to be successful in this business. Get back in IT, and forget about this business.

I've had SO many of my close friends, even parents, tell me to find another job since I come home pissed off and depressed when I'm usually a very happy, comical person. Although it's hard to see an easy exit strategy for me (So I can do it gracefully), I've been thinking about it for awhile now. I guess it's the benefits keeping me there for now.

As far as the avoiding people... It always irks me when they tell me I'm supposed to be building life long relationships with clients. ahhh really? Can't I just take the commish and run to another country? Lol.

I HAVE progressed on a personal level, I'd say, thousands of times because I decided to do this! I now have no problem talking to people and getting information from them, but it's still something I would rather avoid if possible.

I got into finance/economics at an early age (14) (while i started on computers at age 6), so I thought working in a financial related setting would help me in this aspect, but nope, I don't believe it has. Although I did gain an insight of how mutual funds and bonds work at a closer level. I'm pretty good on the investment side of things and have been trading for a number of years now. Although I feel those are tough gigs to get into and stay in.

This won't sound logical BUT...when I said it was tough I was reacting to a Specific event that happened that day.

I actually have a great book so far. People tell me its amazing how much I have done in a year and half.

What I am finding is so hard is how dishonest some agents are and how some people who control the carrier actions are.

I dont think most people are in this business are dishonest like many people do. But when I run in to one or in to a situation I cant tell you how angry it makes me. And how I just want to scream and beat the crap out of them! :mad:

So maybe the hard part is just not doing that! :D

What I am finding is so hard is how dishonest some agents are and how some people who control the carrier actions are.

Amen to that.

I dont think most people are in this business are dishonest like many people do. But when I run in to one or in to a situation I cant tell you how angry it makes me. And how I just want to scream and beat the crap out of them!

So maybe the hard part is just not doing that!

If I had a dollar for every dumb thing an agent has done that I've run across, I'd be retired.

As far as the asinine things that come out of customer service reps' mouths at these insurance companies...don't get me started...

If I had a dollar for every dumb thing an agent has done that I've run across, I'd be retired.

If I had a dollar for every dumb thing that I have done, I'd be retired.... .. Oh, wait... I am retired... Just don't have all those dollars..:no:

Back