Insurance MORE Expensive for Part Time Employee??

G

Going over medical insurance for the upcoming year and showing that working as a part time employee is $300 annually more expensive than working as a full time employee.

Can anybody tell me why and the logic behind this?

Thanks!

I think it's the employers fault. They should be put out of business. How dare they not pay 100% of employee's premiums. It's not like they have a business to run & products to sell.

I think it's the employers fault. They should be put out of business. How dare they not pay 100% of employee's premiums. It's not like they have a business to run & products to sell.

While I appreciate the witty sarcasm the question wasn't why they're not paying 100% but rather why a part time employee pays more yearly premium than a full time employee. I also just found out that the company is self insured and simply uses BCBS as administration.

why a part time employee pays more yearly premium than a full time employee. I also just found out that the company is self insured and simply uses BCBS as administration.

The premium is probably not more, but the employee portion is higher, possibly because the employer contributes less for PT employees.

That is their prerogative.

The fact it is self funded has no bearing on your question.

The employer is making a higher contribution to the full time employees.
Most outfits will no insure part time employees so these PT should consider themselves lucky.

I have only seen one case where the PT were covered under the group health plan. That was a Financial institution that depended on PT's.

ABC said:
The employer is making a higher contribution to the full time employees.
Most outfits will no insure part time employees so these PT should consider themselves lucky.

I have only seen one case where the PT were covered under the group health plan. That was a Financial institution that depended on PT's.

I agree, you are very lucky if you work part time and can get benefits. The fact is the company is spending money on you and paying you.

If you moved to full time you are more if an asset so they contribute more. you get what you pay for and in thia case you get what you work for.

Back