Infertility Insurance... Is this even a "thing"

Jessica Durphy

Guru
100+ Post Club
Kentucky
So I was at a Chamber breakfast this morning. The Superintendent and his HR manager camer to me and asked if I could assist them with getting information on "Infertility Insurance" for their FT employees of the public school system. There would be over 750 FT employees. The HR manager mentioned that she knows Starbucks and Wendys offers it to their employees as a payroll deducted benefit. Does anyone know anything about this?? If so, Where would I start?

Yes, there are a few ways to do this. First would be to work within the the current plan and see if it can be added. With 750+ I would expect it to be self-funded, which will make it easier. The second is a stand-alone, such as Progyny or Maven.

Last edited:
Yes, there are a few ways to do this. First would be to work within the the current plan and see if it can be added. With 750+ I would expect it to be self-funded, which will make it easier. The second is a stand-along, such as Progyny or Maven.
Progyny and Maven- do you write them currently?!

No I do not. I do only self-funded groups. There are pros and cons to each way, but if given the choice, I would write the coverage as stand-alone, outside the self-funded plan. Keeps things much cleaner from a document, claims, and customer service standpoint. Also keeps these expenses away from the plan. I have seen it both ways, just my preference.

No I do not. I do only self-funded groups. There are pros and cons to each way, but if given the choice, I would write the coverage as stand-alone, outside the self-funded plan. Keeps things much cleaner from a document, claims, and customer service standpoint. Also keeps these expenses away from the plan. I have seen it both ways, just my preference.
Thank you! I've never sold a product like this.

I was looking into Progyny and it doesn't look like agents can get appointed to sell.

You mentioned you would write it as a stand alone rather than self funded....
Who do you write for?!

I do not know much about these plans with respect to how they are marketed, should have said that it is best to write as stand-alone. I work for a TPA, all we do is self-funded. We have products that go down to 5 lives, so we have about 15-20 carriers that we work with depending on the size and needs.

considering there is a lot of old white men in this forum, is there a max age for claim for the infertility insurance? Is it an indemnity-based coverage?

Asking for a couple of forum strangers that I am acquaintances with

Most of these plans are 3rd party provider benefits similar to wellness plans, smoking cessation or disease management programs, so no, they cannot discriminate on age.

You keep on using the term "insurance", but that is a bit of a misnomer. These fertility plans are not an insurance product. They are a specialty service to employer plan sponsors and insurance companies as a benefit to their members, not as a separate line of coverage. If a plan sponsor offers a fertility program, it's available to all covered individuals. If your acquaintance's employer doesn't offer such a plan, the best bet is for them to request that they add it.

Back