Insurance problems getting a colonoscopy at 39 years old

When I say family plan, it is really just me and my two kids. We moved my wife to her own plan, through her employer, before we had our daughter, so that we would only have to pay around $4,500 out of pocket for the birth of our daughter, instead of the $8K+ that it would have cost us if she had stayed on my plan with our son. We just haven't moved her back. It all just seems a bit expensive to have to be $1200-2K out of pocket for a routine procedure that takes 20 minutes or so. Makes me concerned what it will cost when anything major happens.

I understand and have empathy for your situation, I have a few thoughts for you. I know most of the people who replied before me and they are telling you the truth, there is not much you can do. Add me and my 36 years into this mix and you have about 110 years of experience replying to you. Second, you are actually getting a good deal, not great, but good. Third, you are not thinking about this correctly. As Chazm said, insurance is for the big expenses. Lastly, ask them what their charges would be if you paid cash. You may find it to be cheaper. Good luck.

One other thought. can you get either doctor to admit you to the hospital for your symptoms? The colonoscopy might then be considered as part of the hospital billing. But you would then be on the hook for you co-pay and deductible for the hospital and I guess you would have an issue with that because they are attempting to make you feel better. Get the test and hope that they don't find anything, then have a great meal in a restaurant

Uh...no. hospital is a much higher cost setting, and subject to deductible. Outpatient facility vs back alley is best low cost environment.

You dont get free fries with a big mac, just because you ate inside the McDonalds.

Hosp stay, room + colonoscopy = higher cost

Yes $1200-2K is a bit much - it should cost about $800. If you want to compare prices for colonoscopies (or any other medical service), check out HealthPriceCompare.com. Simply enter your zip, procedure code or description then choose either your insurance plan or the discounted cash price to be presented with prices of providers in your area.

I know a person who was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer at age 32. Lucky to still be alive, but the prognosis is not to live more than 5 years--if lucky it will be that long. Spouse and very young child. I know another person who was "too busy" to get colonoscopies while working. Retired at 64 and got one, found a pretty big tumor, & lucky it was Stage 1, and will probably not have that as cause of death. Polyps removed at age 45- 50, or younger if indicated, would have avoided quite a section of colon being removed.
Make this work, don't delay. Colon cancer is appearing in younger people more and more. Not sure why yet, but it's not a joke.

Back