Insuring Barry Bonds 756 Home Run Ball--

James, IMO if the person catching that ball gives to Bonds without any consideration (money or other value) there is no taxable event. If there is a market value placed on it and then the owner gifts it there would be a gift tax inasmuch as the $11,000 exemption would be exceeded. The gift tax, of course, is assessed against the donor and not the donee. Anyway I have to get back to my tequila!:daydream:

I'm amazed that we crucified Rose for betting but Bonds gets a pass.
The fact is whether Bonds or Rose gets into the Hall of Fame, they will still have the stigma of the steroids and the gambling. The thing about Rose is he denied for years and years publicly that he didn't bet on baseball only other sports. Finally, after he decided the only chance to get in the Hall was to come clean, he did. He was betting on his own team which is a disgrace. Rose was one of the best athletes in the game and he deserves to get in the Hall at some point and unfortunately the footnote of his gambling will taint his accomplishments. Barry will be dealing with the same scenario with the truth about the steroids. If he were getting a pass we wouldn't even be discussing it right now.

To me Bonds will be living in a personal hell for the rest of his life and I'd bet he goes into depression after he retires. He'll never get what he wanted which is respect and admiration. It's a hollow victory.

Just achieving something doesn't get you anywhere. If I told everyone on this board I'm tracking $3 mill in health sales this year that's impressive. How many would still be impressed if you found out is was UA base plans.

"He was betting on his own team which is a disgrace"

Well...I see your point, but in my opinion, betting AGAINST the Reds (or Phillies) would have been a disgrace.
Who knows if he did or didn't? His credibility is shot because of his past lies. He shouldn't have bet on or against anyway. My point is: Bonds in no way is getting a pass.

Back