Insuring Log Homes?

WolfpackAgent

Expert
Has anyone been seeing a trend toward companies not insuring log homes? I used to have no problem with them but now it's to the point where I have a standard DP3 at best, or an excess & surplus HO3. I've also seen some comments elsewhere about log homes being difficult.

When I did p/c, the an adjuster told me the issue with log homes was how difficult they are to repair. It's not like taking a few boards off a standard framed house or brick house, it's more like taking the house apart to repair a log or two. Very costly.

I definitely understand why there is a problem with them, and apparently there are more companies shying away from them. At this point, I do have a couple of options.

I have no standard markets in NC for log homes. Travelers, nationwide, Hartford, safeco, state auto, MetLife. None will take a log home. Foremost will if it is a DP1 or 3. Excess and surplus were $2500/yr for $325,000 coverage. That’s a lot. Allstate canceling the home for being log.

I did look into them. Looks like it could be a solid option. Do you know who they write through? Usually I get Scottsdale Insurance Conpany or someone similar through my E and S brokers.

They are the carrier...UPCIC...the one with the red elephant logo. Normally I don't try to put preferred business with them...but sometimes they do take some unusual characteristics that other carriers won't. Anytime you can do admitted when otherwise you couldn't...it's a win.

Back