Interesting tidbit for noobs

What's my criteria? I guess you can say what's my client's criteria. I question the client to see what type of plan they are interested in. Then I run rates and let them choose. I answer any questions they have about the plans as well.

Sounds like a great start and a nice 3 step process, but you are missing out on a lot of things that can help you solidify a deal and form relationships with clients vs. just earning money by recommending "A" plan. I could teach a monkey to sell insurance if the little bastard would sit still and stop bouncing his head up and down ;) Seriously, next time I'm going to buy a snake instead.

The criteria is was referencing pertains to why should a client choose you over another insurance agent. How can I as a client feel comfortable with you, and confident that you are recommending the best option for me and my family? Only you can answer that and I know that each of us has own our answer to that question.

If I recommend a plan, I have a very good idea as to the outcome with all of the carriers I represent in a given state (w/ the exception of BC of NE PA who can kiss my 6). Sorry, had a tough time with them today and I'm venting. Anyways...... If you recommend Aetna and "knew" beforehand that they were the best option, a change in underwriting should not be that much of a shock to you or the client because it is the best option. Do you see where I'm going.

Now I will say that Aetna is not the greatest when it comes to pre-screening, nor is GR in my experience thus far, but each of them deserves their own slice of the pie.

Not sure why they split the kids. Aetna has the ability to keep them together and rate only the mom.

I encountered a situation last week where the husband and wife were on their own policy together and the two children were on separate policies. Unfortunately, I couldn't do anything to help them, but I was told the Aetna rep set up the plans that specific way. I don't see the logic in splitting up somebody unless their are other variables at play (e..g, no family discount, husband wants HSA, wife wants co-pay plan, etc, etc.). Take that with a grain of salt.....

The oldest child is 18. Maybe that is why they did it.

J.R.:
I appreciate the constructive criticism. This is only my 2nd individual health sell so I definately have much to learn. I am spending much of my time learning the plan designs and the intricacies of each carrier.

My first 3 clients came from the group plan that I have. They all had medical problems. I'm being baptized by fire so-to-speak.

Last edited:
The wt will create a rate up. Suggest you look at the app and compare it to the Aetna underwriting guide for a clue.

Why was she auto decline with BX & GR? That may give me a clue.

BTW, I talked with my Aetna rep and it seems I was in error in an earlier statement. For some reason when Aetna rates one member in the family they split that person off from the rest. Don't ask me why. Makes no sense but many things done by carriers is illogical.

Aetna family rates assume 2 kids. In your case splitting off with 3 kids generated a higher rate than if the load had been applied only to mom and then preserving the "family" rate.

Sorry for the confusion. So far all of my Aetna rated cases have been on singles.

The oldest child is 18. Maybe that is why they did it.

J.R.:
I appreciate the constructive criticism. This is only my 2nd individual health sell so I definately have much to learn. I am spending much of my time learning the plan designs and the intricacies of each carrier.

My first 3 clients came from the group plan that I have. They all had medical problems. I'm being baptized by fire so-to-speak.

You're on the right track.

In MD if one person on a family app is rated then the entire policy is rated unless you choose to do a split.

Regarding looking a the underwriting guidlines for weight - it's useless unless you email prescreen. In MD the underwriting guide only has a BMI chart but doesn't state where the rate increase will start nor the percentage.

My Humana rep gave me a lamenated sheet with a build chart for standard, rate up, and decline. In my experience Aetna uses a very similar chart. If you can get one of these sheets they are VERY handy.

As for Aenta- yes this does happen. It is under the guise that it will save the member premium, but in reality usually means higher premiums and more deductibles. If you are going to put the children on thier own policy look at Humana they have the best rates for child only and excellent well child benefits. For the mom you might want to consider a newer carrier called IAC. They have a more flexible build chart, and good rates. Preventative care is a seperate benefit so you have to remember to add it when you quote. Good Luck

Thanks all.

Steph: Thanks for the info on Humana. She's 4'11" and 183 lbs. She also has a cyst on her overy. It won't require surgery and is like a pimple. Just pops and goes away. With Golden Rule's new build chart, she is 1 lb. over. Think she can lose a lb? With the cyst thing, I'm hesitant to go anywhere else in case of a decline.

I have run rates for just the kids and the Aetna plan is still the best for the price that I can find.

I will look into IACUSA.com Thanks.

If I remember correctly doesn't GR have a wierd exclusion or limitation on ovaries? I don't sell them much and could be wrong. Maybe someone with more GR experience might know.

Back