Internet Leads - Do you filter?

people actually admit to declineable conditions

Depends on how the questionaire is worded.

Some specifically ask about heart attack/disease, cancer, diabetes, emphysema, etc.

Others just say, "Are you healthy"?

I guess I should have said any condition, it seems like 8 out of every ten leads that has no health problems marked off. And the ones who have the major ones always say something like "Well I didn't want to say that I was Bi Polar because then no one would call me."

This is actually a complicated question, but the short answer is filters are a waste of time. Agents want to screen for 80 health conditions, income, age, demographics and the need to buy NOW - sorry but this is far from reality.

The reality is your only filters should be to be compliant with the basics of the product you are offering:

-Age 0 to 64 1/2 (most carriers)
-Area you service
-Major health (Cancer, Heart, Pregnant, Diabetic (maybe), and Pending Surgery)

Every carrier has a variety of 80 page underwriting guidebooks and to filter you will waste a lot of money, receive fewer leads, and make fewer sales.

The better option is to get NON-AFFILIATE leads, and partner with someone that will be fair on lead credits for reasons stated above.

This is a numbers game and too often agents are viewing samples of 10, 20, 30 leads to make determinations. I believe larger samples and a larger length of time is necessary to measure results.

You do not need 10,000 leads and a year - but you also can not work 12 leads in 3 days and throw up the surrender flag.

Its all numbers!

TX has a point. But he is also making a not so subtle pitch for his lead gen company.

If you really don't mind writing $60 premiums on kids you can make sales. As for folks over age 60 (or 55 or whatever age), their business seems to stick longer than younger ages . . . but it comes with the challenge of dealing with health issues and more complicated (and delayed) underwriting. You can even write coverage on pregnant women, those who have had heart attacks, cancer, diabetes if you want to write supplemental plans & HIP's.

I have been using internet leads for over 3 years. I have wasted a lot of time trying to find carriers who will write a 63 year old smoker with HTN and high cholesterol. Can't tell you how many times I got leads from "young invincibles" who either were just doing a school project or had nothing better to do.

Filters are a way of saving time and time is money. The few cases I miss by not taking kids under 25, pregnant parents, and size 4x are no big deal. Most of the leads that would pass through filters are people who are delusional about what is available in the market place.

I have enough issues with those who think they can buy full coverage with any carrier just because they have been covered for the last 6 years.

I have used leads with no filters, few filters, and filtered to the 9's. My preference is to pay a little more up front to have fewer hassles and increase my ROI.

TX has a point. But he is also making a not so subtle pitch for his lead gen company.

Not really - we have only signed up one forum member to my knowledge and have been in business since 2003.

The key is BALANCE and what works FOR YOU. If you have the time to work the raw market in large quantity - go for it. If you are working small quantity and want a few more filters - that is fine as well.

There is no "right" answer as everyones needs vary.

Another thing you can do is add filters (if they are free or cheap) and start stripping filters off when you need more quantity. Just play with it until you find the right mix.

"There is no "right" answer as everyones needs vary. "

yup. Me? I use some fliters. Others, I take my chances with. Sometimes it bites me in the backside, sometimes it doesn't.

I just find too broad a brush has me spending time with people who want to talk all day, but can't get coverage for health reasons, cost reasons, etc.. So narrowing it down a bit saves me from having that conversation with that great person, who I can't do anything for.

There are two traits of an uninsurable lead:

1. They will answer their phone

2. They will talk to you for hours

Simply amazing. One other idea is to hire an assitant, use a dialer, or use leadpod and have someone filter the calls and pre qual prior to you speaking with them. This costs money and is not always possible - but at some point I realized the value of my time vs. the value of assistance or technology is very important.

Back