Is a Medicare Supplement Considered a QHP?

Well the wording on what I'm reading that creates the conflict of interest is being a licensed agent, active with a health insurer enrolling consumers in anQHP or non-QHP plan. So sounds like this would cover either situation for med supps.

I work for a company in a hospital and do other things with eligibility besides ACA/Obamacare. My license is not a requirement for my job, i complete separate training to become a certified application counselor (CAC) to be able to enroll people in Obamacare. Also I do not get commissions or anything off of it. I'm sure any of that benefit goes to the company.

Here's the link to what I've read about it.

marketplace.cms.gov/technical-assistance-resources/conflict-of-interest-requirements.PDF

I'm wondering what I'm missing here. ACA is for under age 65 and Med Supps are usually for those 65 and older. How is helping people enroll into ACA a conflict to selling Med Supps?

Todd, you are correct and that is a valid observation. All I can say is this.

When I was a carrier rep I could be terminated for selling a product, even if my employer/carrier did not offer the product.

In the case of the OP, certainly dental plans, STD, hospital indemnity, cancer, etc are not QHP's but they are commissionable and could be construed as "selling away". If nothing else, the employer might ask how much time they spend on these other activities and did they use company time, materials, etc. to build this second income.

That is generally a violation of labor laws and the employee can be terminated, even sued for that action. I know 4 people who did just that when I was a rep. Every one of them was terminated and sued.

It has nothing to do with me using my time at my primary job trying to sell insurance products. Look at the link above. According to CMS, a licensed agent receiving compensation from a health insurer can not do what I do in my primary job as a certified application counselor. All I do is enroll people in plans, I can't advise them on what is better, etc, I show them the options, let them decide. I don't understand it either.

----------

I'm wondering what I'm missing here. ACA is for under age 65 and Med Supps are usually for those 65 and older. How is helping people enroll into ACA a conflict to selling Med Supps?

This didn't make sense to me either. At all. It's the government for you. I don't see what the conflict of interest is.

It has nothing to do with me using my time at my primary job trying to sell insurance products. Look at the link above. According to CMS, a licensed agent receiving compensation from a health insurer can not do what I do in my primary job as a certified application counselor. All I do is enroll people in plans, I can't advise them on what is better, etc, I show them the options, let them decide. I don't understand it either.

----------

This didn't make sense to me either. At all. It's the government for you. I don't see what the conflict of interest is.

But you're not receiving commissions from what you do in that job as a "counselor". It's your 2nd "job" that you're receiving commissions. I don't see a problem with it.

But you're not receiving commissions from what you do in that job as a "counselor". It's your 2nd "job" that you're receiving commissions. I don't see a problem with it.

I agree. I don't understand it either. The CMS has deemed it's a conflict of interest since I do receive commissions.

Back