Is Celtic the Only One That Does This?

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Tried to sign a guy up for Celtic STM but he backed off after calling Celtic. They told him their coverage was not creditable and they would not give him a letter after coverage terminates.

WTF?

STM is creditable coverage in GA (and other states as well). First time I have run in to this.

The issuing carrier does not decide what is creditable and what isn't. Truth is, it is up to the successor carrier to accept the letter as proof or not. States can make declarations on the TYPE of coverage they consider creditable but that is not binding on the successor carrier.

Never run in to this before. What other STM carriers refuse to issue a letter of creditable coverage?

I can't say for sure, but have you thought about the possibility that it was just a cop-out? That he decided to either get coverage through someone else, or not at all; however, he didn't have the weebles to just tell you?

Otherwise, I agree that it sounds a bit odd that Celtic would have told him that.....very odd.

Tried to sign a guy up for Celtic STM but he backed off after calling Celtic. They told him their coverage was not creditable and they would not give him a letter after coverage terminates.

WTF?

STM is creditable coverage in GA (and other states as well). First time I have run in to this.

The issuing carrier does not decide what is creditable and what isn't. Truth is, it is up to the successor carrier to accept the letter as proof or not. States can make declarations on the TYPE of coverage they consider creditable but that is not binding on the successor carrier.

Never run in to this before. What other STM carriers refuse to issue a letter of creditable coverage?

Wow, they should be licking the soles of your shoes first just for considering giving them ANY business, and they pull this? How many clients do they have anyway ? 1 or 2?

I know Goldenrule does NOT send out a CCC for short term. Unless someone knows here, i have to make a call to H to ask the same thing.

This guy is a lawyer. Don't know why I even bothered. Every attorney client I have is a PITA.

Celtic and H1 are the only two STM carriers I know of that do not ask if you have been denied coverage. We have submitted a regular app to H1 but it will take some time to process and his coverage is running out.

Yes, he called me 2 days ago and needs something right now . . .

H1 will reject a major med application if you have STM in force with them so that left Celtic as the only other option.

Even though I told him STM is creditable coverage in GA he called them direct. They told him their STM was not creditable coverage (first clue he was dealing with an ***) and since it is not creditable there is no need to issue a letter.

How f***ed up is that?

Or maybe it is just me for dealing with him.

Celtic customer service told one of my Celtic clients that a Dermatology Visit is covered by the Affordable Care Act. He ended up paying $340 dollars because the claims department applied the charges to his deductible. Of course, he calle me to vent his anger.

I called Celtic customer service to find out why they would tell him that a Dermatology visit would be covered as Free Wellness under the ACA. After assuring me that it was, started to ask more questions, because something was very different about this call. She didn't sound very sure of herself.

It turns out that Celtic had closed their regular customer care center in Chicago during the Spring and moved customer service to a Texas call-center that contracts with several companies to provide customer service for large groups. Most likely this was a cost-saving move brought about by the Obama MLR. Celtic probably wasn't that financially strong even before all the new mandates.
-AC

It turns out that Celtic had closed their regular customer care center in Chicago during the Spring and moved customer service to a Texas call-center that contracts with several companies to provide customer service for large groups. Most likely this was a cost-saving move brought about by the Obama MLR. Celtic probably wasn't that financially strong even before all the new mandates.
-AC

Hey, at least the move was only to Texas - with the MLR squeeze on admin. expense, customer service could be moved to India!

I can only tell you about my own experiences, and that Blue Cross of Kansas City does not count STM as creditable. Not only that, but their own individual plans are not considered creditable to themselves, either.

Back