Is health insurance still a "recession-proof" business ?

jbage007

Guru
100+ Post Club
So, how you guys doing these days?

Is business up? Down? About the same?

Are you selling more stripped-down, lower premium plans? Higher deductible but otherwise full coverage plans?

What gives?

Talk to me!:twitchy:

My business is about the same, though I do mostly P&C.
How about yourself?

People are definitely looking to save a buck where they can.

Dan

Nothing is recession-proof, and Everything is recession-proof.

Health insurance seems to be the industry everyone "tries" when their line of work goes south. In other words, they didn't take into consideration that there may be lean times, and that they may have to rely on savings to sail them through.

So...

Real Estate Agents, Melaluca Reps, and probably now, former Circuit City employees are now going to want to sell insurance.

Health Insurance.

One of the most personally tailored lines of coverage ever. Where you need to know your product, your clientelle, and yourself better than anyone. A product that someone will use as soon as they get it. A product that is a reflection on not only you, put the industry as a whole.

It disgusts me. That is why CMS is over-regulating Medicare. And, if we keep allowing anyone who can fog a mirror to enter our "profession" (and that's exactly how I regard it), then the government will step in sooner than we think, with a heavier hand than we expect.

Health insurance, to me, is recession-proof, if I talk to someone who values keeping their family covered, and is willing to give up buying tattoos, tom-tom navigators, Wii stations for their kids. If I talk to someone who thinks it's something they can pick up, like calling Safe Auto, and getting coverage over the phone, then even while not in a recession, I won't get that sale.

Back