Is Healthcare a Privilege or a Right?

Ok, great. Let's move to Massachusetts or Connecticut. Do you have any idea what the tax burden is there?

We should be willing to fork over more revenue to governments - why? Due to their track record of being fiscally responsible?
Requiring citizens to have coverage (i.e., in exchange for emergency room coverage) does not add taxes. McCain's proposed health insurance tax credits would restore individual responsibility, and make insurance more affordable. Each state could then decide how much to subsidize those who still couldn't afford coverage (and penalize those who could, which could help offset state costs).

Massachusetts mandates cost more money than most states would be willing to spend, but the majority there won't tolerate less coverage, hence more taxes. Mitt rightly refused to recommend a national system should mimic Mass. Each state should adopt its own method based upon its acceptable tax burdens vs coverage requirements.

Last edited:
McCain's proposed health insurance tax credits would restore individual responsibility, and make insurance more affordable.

No, it won't. Not anymore than Obama's contention that if insurance were "more affordable" more people would buy it.

If it was $25 per month some people wouldn't buy it.

The largest driver of the cost of health insurance is the cost of health care.

Until we are willing to confront questions like how much we're willing to spend to keep Grandmom alive for another four months (do you have any idea what % of healthcare dollars are spent on people who won't live another 12 months?) we'll never get anywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I loathe anymore government programs run by *** politicians. I truly believe the free market works best.

But if people are allowed to show up in the emergency room and expect treatment - there's got to be some provision for them to pay for it!

The Dutch have a very interesting system. Everyone has to have "base coverage" - which is done on a GI basis, and collected through payroll tax (generally). They get a voucher to choose which private company they'll use. Additionally, there are supplemental packages available (not GI) to "add on" coverage.

It accomplishes two things: number one it forces responsibility on those who won't take it and transfer the costs on to other, more responsible folks.

Perhaps more importantly, it keeps the government out of the health insurance business and keeps the principles of free market competition in the mix.

Chuck said the genie is already out of the bottle. Maybe, but that does not mean that SS is a perfect system.

For almost 70 years senior citizens have had a floor income "provided" for them courtesy of the working stiffs. It never was intended to be the only source of income but rather a safety net.

Yet how many of our senior citizens cry they are living on a fixed income that forces them to decide between food and medicine?

For years Medicare (a 40 yr old health care program for seniors) did not cover doctor visits or Rx. Even with the new Part D Rx plan they will still have the donut (or whatever it is called) that requires them to pay $3600 or so out of pocket and even that isn't good enough.

Every year Medicare premiums (Part B) go up as do deductibles and copays.

If it is the role of government to provide then why not revamp SS and Medicare to allow everyone to enjoy the last years of their life without income worries and free, unfettered health care?

Fix that sinking ship before screwing around with the rest of the system.

It is not the role of government to educate our children, provide jobs, lower energy bills or provide universal medical care.

When choosing between paying for health care or eating is a common dilemma, one would think that something needs to happen. Right now health care is a privilege attainable by the healthy middle class on up, a benefit provided at the discretion of an employer or a government subsidized plan for seniors. That's it. What about everyone else?

I believe we have the best health care in the world. People are living longer, we're making huge progress in medicine, but it comes at a price. That price has caught up to us and it's time to make decisions.

All I'm saying is that something drastic needs to be done. I'm not for universal health care, but I believe every american citizen should have a right to at least basic health care. Not even tax advantages are sufficient incentives because costs are going up in excess of inflation and passing almost all other portions of the economy.

A new system based on strong values and principles first is what I'm hoping for. Obviously, most agents here disagree with me on this...

I'm not for universal health care, but I believe every american citizen should have a right to at least basic health care. Not even tax advantages are sufficient incentives because costs are going up in excess of inflation and passing almost all other portions of the economy.

A new system based on strong values and principles first is what I'm hoping for. Obviously, most agents here disagree with me on this...

You've got to be careful about "throwing out the baby with the bath water". Sometimes "change for change's sake" (change we can believe in?) turns out to be worse. "Change" is an emotional principle - not logical.

I don't think you'll get disagreement from many that the greatest nation on Earth should be able, with the resources that we are blessed with, to provide a basic level of health care to everyone in this nation.

The dilemma is how to pay for it.

While we are already spending 16% of our GDP on health care (highest of any developed, industrialized nation) - some are falling through the cracks no doubt.

It has been entrusted to the politicians - and they have proven that they can find every way possible to mismanage it. This country is in a giant financial crisis that grows worse each day. As an electorate though, we haven't had the courage to elect folks that "tell the truth".

There was a primary election here in Florida yesterday. Turnout here in Hillsborough County was a shameful 10%. Ten percent! But then guess who bitches most about the government?

Back in 1992, I remember Ross Perot talking of "the great sucking sound" of jobs leaving the U.S... and what happened?

Got to be a better way.

Back