Is my daughter covered?

Jun 1, 2019

1. LouisianaGirl

LouisianaGirl New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hopefully someone can answer this. My 19 year old daughter lives on her own, not in my household. She does drive my insured car on a regular basis. Before I had time to add her to my policy, she had an at fault accident. Is she covered under my policy since she isn’t in my household? I have full coverage on the vehicle.

2. fed up

fed up Guru

State:
    Virginia
    Your car should be covered for the accident but you need to add your daughter to your policy. Permissive use does not allow for "regular use". Is there something about your vehicle that your daughter needs because her's is insufficient?

fed up, Jun 2, 2019
  3. bluesky3000

bluesky3000 Expert

State:
    Hawaii
    You will need to list her under the policy of the usage of the car... A must

4. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Guru

State:
    Arizona
    You might be on thin ice. That a 19 year old had regular use of your car is a serious underwriting issue.

I found the following on a Louisiana auto policy sample:

Read your policy and verify that, then hope for the best.
    That the underwriters find out about this after she has an accident makes one wonder if you didn't conceal her regular use so you wouldn't have to pay the rates for a young driver.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  5. fed up

fed up Guru

State:
    Virginia
    You might also want to never repeat the line, "She does drive my insured car on a regular basis"

fed up, Jun 3, 2019
  6. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Guru

State:
    Arizona
    No comment.

smh

7. VolAgent

VolAgent Guru

State:
    Tennessee
    I wouldn't worry. I bet the company will have no problem establishing this if they plan on denying coverage.

8. NicholasRussek

NicholasRussek New Member

State:
    New York
    Hello! Your car must be protected from accidents, add your daughter to your policy.

9. Allen Trent

Allen Trent Guru

And disclose the garage location. Adding her to the policy, but making it look like she resides in your home could be an issue.

Safer thing for you might be to give her the car & have her get it titled. If her current at fault accident or a future one is severe enough to permanent injure someone, you might lose a ton of money if your liability isnt sufficient. You dont get to select whether the other injured party is a $15 per hour factory worker or a neurosurgeon