Is my daughter covered?

LouisianaGirl

Hopefully someone can answer this. My 19 year old daughter lives on her own, not in my household. She does drive my insured car on a regular basis. Before I had time to add her to my policy, she had an at fault accident. Is she covered under my policy since she isn’t in my household? I have full coverage on the vehicle.

Your car should be covered for the accident but you need to add your daughter to your policy. Permissive use does not allow for "regular use". Is there something about your vehicle that your daughter needs because her's is insufficient?

Hopefully someone can answer this. My 19 year old daughter lives on her own, not in my household. She does drive my insured car on a regular basis. Before I had time to add her to my policy, she had an at fault accident. Is she covered under my policy since she isn’t in my household? I have full coverage on the vehicle.
You will need to list her under the policy of the usage of the car... A must

Is she covered under my policy since she isn’t in my household?

You might be on thin ice. That a 19 year old had regular use of your car is a serious underwriting issue.

I found the following on a Louisiana auto policy sample:

FRAUD OR MISREPRESENTATION
This policy was issued in reliance upon the information provided on your insurance application. We may void this policy if you or an insured person, with the intent to deceive, have knowingly concealed or misrepresented any material fact or circumstance, or engaged in fraudulent conduct, at the time the application was made.
We may deny coverage under this policy if you or an insured person, with the intent to deceive, have knowingly concealed or misrepresented any material fact or circumstance, or engaged in fraudulent conduct, in connection with the presentation or settlement of a claim.
No coverage will be provided to any person who has, with
the intent to deceive, knowingly concealed or misrepresented any material fact or circumstance, or engaged in fraudulent conduct, in connection with the presentation or settlement of a claim.
We may also cancel this policy, and deny coverage for an accident or loss, if you or an insured person, with the intent to deceive, have knowingly concealed or misrepresented any material fact or circumstance, or engaged in fraudulent conduct, in connection with the presentation or settlement of a claim.
Read your policy and verify that, then hope for the best.
That the underwriters find out about this after she has an accident makes one wonder if you didn't conceal her regular use so you wouldn't have to pay the rates for a young driver.

Last edited:
You might also want to never repeat the line, "She does drive my insured car on a regular basis"

Hello! Your car must be protected from accidents, add your daughter to your policy.
And disclose the garage location. Adding her to the policy, but making it look like she resides in your home could be an issue.

Safer thing for you might be to give her the car & have her get it titled. If her current at fault accident or a future one is severe enough to permanent injure someone, you might lose a ton of money if your liability isnt sufficient. You dont get to select whether the other injured party is a $15 per hour factory worker or a neurosurgeon

Back