Is My Progression On or Off Track?

Bob-You took the words right out of my mouth.

Your spread to thin... You need to find something your passonaite about and run with it... let me give you an example.

Like Bob about 95% of my income comes from one niche, mine happends to be Medicare Supps/Advantages.

The people who you find successful in this feild are the people who position themselves as "experts".

Underage health, or medicare, or life insurance, or annuities, or dental, or whatever is too difficult to concentrate on a number of them... pick one and become an expert.

I have a friend here in Ohio who ONLY sells LTC. I tell him all the time, cross sell Medicare products, its easy, he never did and I couldnt understand. I road around with him one day to see how he is closing LTC.

The guy was an expert, by the end of his presentation I WAS READY TO BUY!

When you can say to a client, LTC is all I do ALLDAY EVERYDAY, the client is at ease.

When you say to the client, ok we got you a LTC policy how bout that house we need to protect this house and how bout your car insurance I can beat that rate and how bout dem grandkids lets get some insurance on them and this and that... you loose your expertise.

Bottom line, ANYONE working 40 hours a week at this "job" should be making at least bare minimum $40,000, once renewals pick up and you build a book of business your make some passive income but continue to work your 40 hours... by year 3 or 4 your should be making a substantial income just on your book of business.

But you gotta be an expert.

Your spread to thin... You need to find something your passonaite about and run with it... let me give you an example.

The best thing I did was quit being a financial advisor (whatever that means) and run like hell with health insurance. With a clear focus, I became an expert in that one area, my business became systemized, and I just had to get out and sell.

You are getting good advice on here. The problem for so many of us is we try to do everything and don't get really good at anything. Find one product and become an expert on it. Commit youself to whatever it takes to become successful. If necessary work Saturday mornings, make an extra 10 calls per week, etc. You know what it is you need to to. Maybe for you it is year 6 or year 7. Ben Feldman with NYL was the greatest life insurance salesman of all time but it was not until his fourth (4th) year that he qualified for the MDRT. I think it took John Savage about 9 years to really become successful.

Trying to be effective in all 4 of those markets means you are effective in none of them.

This is very true, but a difficult rule to follow. If you focus on health, you are still going to be asked to work on projects that you may not really want to add.

Right now, at the height of health insurance season, I have 5 life and 3 DI cases that have just come in the last week and they are all complicated. The Life are within my realm of expertise, but the DI are not, and I'm spending valuable time getting up to speed. These were all client requests, and when I tried to side step on the DI, I got called on it and basically, you do it or else.

However, I agree with you whole heartedly. Focus on one and then do what the client asks. I'm very grateful to have the cases and do appreciate the clients, but I've had a headache for 3 days.

Bill, how long has it taken you to hit your stride? Anyone else that cares to give me their "hit your stride" number?

Last edited:
Bill, how long has it taken you to hit your stride? Anyone else that cares to give me their "hit your stride" number?

I've been at this for 5 years. I don't know if I've "hit my stride" seems like I'm constantly striving.

There is literally no end to this job for me now. Its really just gotten this way in the last year, and most likely due to the time that I've put into it, which has a cumulative effect. I put in around 50 - 55 hours per week.

If they make selling health and life insurance unprofitable, I'm going to sell jewelry out of the trunk of my car as a back up plan.

Back