Is the grass greener?

Because PC isn't seasonal & isn't something that you try (it tries you), you are likely best finding another agent or agency to be a producer for. If you attempt to go it alone without the infrastructure of an existing agency (staffing/systems), etc you will likely impact your existing business as your PC clients & those referred to you for PC wont put up with you being too busy for them in the last Quarter of the year. An existing agency can handle the PC servicing, etc.

When I started out in p&c, I had the idea of trying to write everything for my clients. Personal, commercial, life. Maybe even health one day. What I found was, that it was easier and much more profitable to focus on one thing, and do it well. Now I write 100% commercial, focused primarily on repair and body shops, and refer everything non commercial p&c out. I am making plenty of money, low stress, and I don't have to work very many hours. I just passed on a large referral today because I knew it would be a lot of work, and I'd make more money with less work selling smaller accounts that I was fluent with.

In general most successful agents focus on one thing, and do it well. There are many different cliches for a reason. "getting spread too thin", "pulled in too many directions", "like a moth in Vegas" "doing too many things" "jack of all trades, master of none" are many cliches, but I prefer "do one thing, and do it well".

Last edited:
When I started out in p&c, I had the idea of trying to write everything for my clients. Personal, commercial, life. Maybe even health one day. What I found was, that it was easier and much more profitable to focus on one thing, and do it well. Now I write 100% commercial, focused primarily on repair and body shops, and refer everything non commercial p&c out. I am making plenty of money, low stress, and I don't have to work very many hours. I just passed on a large referral today because I knew it would be a lot of work, and I'd make more money with less work selling smaller accounts that I was fluent with.

In general most successful agents focus on one thing, and do it well. There are many different cliches for a reason. "getting spread too thin", "pulled in too many directions", "like a moth in Vegas" "doing too many things" "jack of all trades, master of none" are many cliches, but I prefer "do one thing, and do it well".

I agree with you and what you are saying makes perfect sense. I guess I am not coming from a place of wanting to write everything I am coming from a place of wanting to try everything. For that reason I would probably join an existing agency so that if I decide this isn't for me they can just have the clients with no hard feelings.

In the end I will not probably end up doing p&c at all and just investing in more marketing as our agency grows so that I can have more to work on during the off season. I really am ready to get out of doing the whole group thing and even the under 65 health and just do medicare. I may learn to sell final expense because it is a natural progression and could potentially help to fuel the medicare side etc

I agree with you and what you are saying makes perfect sense. I guess I am not coming from a place of wanting to write everything I am coming from a place of wanting to try everything. For that reason I would probably join an existing agency so that if I decide this isn't for me they can just have the clients with no hard feelings.

In the end I will not probably end up doing p&c at all and just investing in more marketing as our agency grows so that I can have more to work on during the off season. I really am ready to get out of doing the whole group thing and even the under 65 health and just do medicare. I may learn to sell final expense because it is a natural progression and could potentially help to fuel the medicare side etc

Why are you getting out of group?

...In the end I will not probably end up doing p&c at all and just investing in more marketing as our agency grows so that I can have more to work on during the off season. I really am ready to get out of doing the whole group thing and even the under 65 health and just do medicare. I may learn to sell final expense because it is a natural progression and could potentially help to fuel the medicare side etc
and vice versa.

lol that's why this is a grass is greener post because I really have no idea what its like to write P&C
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence until the barbed wire starts cutting into your neck.. Then, may it isn't after all. You may love the P&C business.. I hated it... Have you considered working other markets in your current field ( life and health) that are not seasonal?

Why are you getting out of group?

It’s just such a roller coaster when trying to get new groups. Especially large groups. I haven’t really had any sales training or anything and I get so close to closing these big deals and then they fall through and it is exhausting

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence until the barbed wire starts cutting into your neck.. Then, may it isn't after all. You may love the P&C business.. I hated it... Have you considered working other markets in your current field ( life and health) that are not seasonal?

I could definitely try that first. I would like to sell some life insurance but I need to find some good training. I have had a few opportunities over the years but none have gone through.

I’m only 25 so it’s a good time in my life to learn life insurance as everyone is getting better jobs, moving into houses and starting families

If you have free more down time, in my opinion you have two different ways to spending that time from a business perspective:
1. Spend time building up your online marketing efforts during those months. Such as creating content on a website, becoming an active community expert (somewhere), etc
or
2. Spend some of your free time selling other services to your existing clients. IE home and auto insurance. If you have already passed a life insurance test, chances are you can pass a home insurance test. You should be able to either reach out to a large independent agent in your area and offer up an agreement or set up an agreement with an MGA, such as Superior Access or OLI insurance which will allow you access to lots of carriers. Obviously the MGA method will cost you money but allow you higher commissions while the independent agency idea will cost you less money but pay you less.

I could definitely try that first. I would like to sell some life insurance but I need to find some good training. I have had a few opportunities over the years but none have gone through.

I’m only 25 so it’s a good time in my life to learn life insurance as everyone is getting better jobs, moving into houses and starting families
If you are in the voluntary benefits market, just about all of those products can be sold on an individual basis.. Know guys that make a good living selling cancer and accident only.. Have one friend that doesn't like calling on people in their homes so he goes business to business, especially those that will have only 1-3 people working and sells them individual plans on bank draft. He will write from 6-10 apps per week working from 10-5..

Back