Is there Coverage for this? Home Torn down due to [Wrong Address?]

You think a house boarded up & vacant for 15 years would have any coverage. Wouldn't the occupancy exclusion apply?

The HO-3 that I referred to earlier does not have an occupancy exclusion, it has a vacancy exclusion that reads:

Vandalism and malicious mischief, and any ensuing loss caused by any intentional and wrongful act committed in the course of the vandalism or malicious mischief, if the dwelling has been vacant for more than 60 consecutive days immediately before the loss. A dwelling being constructed is not considered vacant;

The exclusion only applies to vandalism and malicious mischief, neither of which is what happened to the property.

And it is possible to insure a long term vacant dwelling for an appropriate premium.

When I originally posted this it never occurred to me that the Question: Is there Coverage for This? House Torn Down due to [Wrong Address] had anything to do with a homeowners policy [HO3] for a property that had been vacant for 15 years.

I meant a Vacant property policy. I should have been more clear.

And it is possible to insure a long term vacant dwelling for an appropriate premium

Guessing someone without the money to un-board up a house to make it rentable or sell it wont have the $30,000-$50,000+ to insure it for 15 years under vacant home policy

Last edited:
When I originally posted this it never occurred to me that the Question: Is there Coverage for This? House Torn Down due to [Wrong Address] had anything to do with a homeowners policy [HO3] for a property that had been vacant for 15 years.

I meant a Vacant property policy. I should have been more clear.

A vacant property policy for a home is likely to be written on a Dwelling Fire Policy - DP-1 Basic, DP-2 Broad, DP-3 Special, each with a vacancy permit attached to the policy.

DP-1 and DP-2 are Named Perils policies. Erroneous demolition of a dwelling is not a Named Peril and would not be covered.

DP-3, however, operates similarly to an HO-3 in that Perils are covered unless specifically excluded. Erroneous demolition of a dwelling is not specifically excluded and, therefore, would be covered by the DP-3.

Back