Is this a CMS Violation or Not?

I have done Medicare sales 8 years and was always told every year that we can not use any job title with the word "medicare" in it. It may mislead people into thinking we are with Medicare in some way.
I guess I should stop using the title Medicare Supplement Broker then.

Not!

If this person has an unfair advantage in using that wording to attract prospects, it most certainly DOES affect him.

CMs workers are a bunch of useless government workers who are only there to do as little as possible and protect their cushy government jobs. Good Luck with getting them to do anything to enforce any rules like this.

Ok, in a small town of 100 people and 17 eligible prospects, it would matter.

But, out of the pool of prospects - he/she might lose .00057% of his/her income because of this 'unfair advantage.'

My point - who cares what other agents do. We think that the other agents "unfair advantages" negatively affect us way more than they ever would.

My point - who cares what other agents do. We think that the other agents "unfair advantages" negatively affect us way more than they ever would.

I care what other agents do. Maybe not so much in this scenario, but it really bothers me when I see an agent has taken advantage of a client. It gives us all a bad name.

I care what other agents do. Maybe not so much in this scenario, but it really bothers me when I see an agent has taken advantage of a client. It gives us all a bad name.

You're right - I should have clarified...

Who cares what other agents do when it comes to the inane CMS rules. We should care when it comes to issues of substance - like our clients well-being.

Your local Medicare sales agent is a CMS violation because, as mentioned, it can imply that the agent works for Medicare.

Your local insurance agent offering Medicare supplement insurance and more would be compliant. Longer, but compliant.

Why does it matter what other agents do? Because if CMS has rules in place to prevent agents doing this, and they find agents still are violating the rules in place, it can result in even stricter rules in the future.

You're right - I should have clarified...

Who cares what other agents do when it comes to the inane CMS rules. We should care when it comes to issues of substance - like our clients well-being.

I get it. You think I should focus on what I do and not waste my time on what the other guy is doing. I basically agree with that.

However, I think words matter. I am in a very small market, that I pretty much dominate. I don't won't my clients calling their "local Medicare sales agent" because they have in mind that Medicare has installed a local advocate for them.

But is it against the rules?

Did you call the number from the ad yet? Wouldn't it be ironic if the guy actually worked for Medicare? lol Call him and ask him if he works for medicare (obviously he doesn't, but just curious how he would respond, ask him what kind of result he's getting from his ad)

Back