Is This a Small Group or Not?

curly212

Expert
I have a friend that I'd like to try to give some answers to with your help. She is married and her and her husband are realtors (self employed). She has a small team, meaning there is another relator working for her (still self employed 1099). The problem is that she has cystic fibrosis so she is having loads of problems looking at individual plans.

Is there anyway that she & her husband could qualify as a group? I'm on the P&C side but I thought I remembered some group qualifications starting at 2-3 people? I'm in Pennsylvania and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

CF is a deal breaker for individual health insurance. Stop wasting time.

Some carriers will write 1099 groups. The good news is, realtor's are usually one that they will consider.

Participation is the big issue. Find a local agent that knows the group biz to work this for you. Don't even think of a commission split. Not enough money in this to cut you a piece. As them to buy you a steak dinner instead.

very cool to know. Could not care less about the split or steak. She's a good friend. Thank you.

I'm licensed in PA and have a GI product as well as group we could probably write. PM me if you want more info.

Where in PA is this group located? There is a possibility that they may be classified as a small group for GI health insurance despite being independent contractors (1099).

I don't know your state laws but

Have them form a corp. File for a Fed tax Id
Then put the team/employees on some type of w2.
The owners might qualify with k1's
Check your local carriers to see if that will qualify.

I have a friend that I'd like to try to give some answers to with your help. She is married and her and her husband are realtors (self employed). She has a small team, meaning there is another relator working for her (still self employed 1099). The problem is that she has cystic fibrosis so she is having loads of problems looking at individual plans.

Is there anyway that she & her husband could qualify as a group? I'm on the P&C side but I thought I remembered some group qualifications starting at 2-3 people? I'm in Pennsylvania and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to talk to her and see where we are.

MedicarePlanSolutions - Thanks for the offer, let me get back to you.
Arnguy - Thanks -we're in Philly area of Pa
DS$ - Thanks - She has a "team" but that consists of one other realtor who works for/with her. Probably 1099.
ABC - Thanks. That sounds like a smart plan and I'll see if she would be willing to set up.

Back