Is this ethical or legal?

G

The question is:

Is it legal or ethical for a newbie to listen in on a live call as a training tool?

As in, agent/client/newbie being quiet on the phone together live.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Is this ethical ir legal?

See above

Last edited by a moderator:

How else are they gonna learn? Tape 'em and play back redacted versions?

I don't see a problem with it (unless I'm ignorant of some legal implications), as a matter of fact I think it's a good idea.

How else are they gonna learn? Tape 'em and play back redacted versions?

I don't see a problem with it (unless I'm ignorant of some legal implications), as a matter of fact I think it's a good idea.

exactly what I was thinking, however, many do it live from what I've heard so that the newbie hears everything.in real time

That is a strange question coming from someone who professes to have an awesome training program for agents, isn't that what you do?

One would assume that you would have already checked that out with you first started training agents or is this something you just thought of adding to your training program?

When I hired and trained agents that is exactly what I did along with recording conversations. Before I did though, I checked Missouri law and it is legal to do so in Missouri.

Specifically recording phone calls. Missouri law does not require you to inform the other person the call is being recorded, at least they didn't at the time I was training agents.

I am familiar with an agency that calls live during a webinar, with as many as 30 to 50 ppl on the line listening; and muted. Of course all on the line are licensed agents, or should be.

The calls are made to internet lead prospects, and initially in the call when the prospect has agreed to proceed with the call, the caller says, "I need to inform you that this call may be monitored or recorded for training purposes", and goes on. We have all spoken to someone on the phone who has made such statement, and it is SOP. We simply don't question it. I never heard one person question this and I would say I listened in on well over 200 live calls.

The agency's legal counsel has blessed the practice as long as the statement is read. Never been a hitch to my knowledge.

Last edited:

That is a strange question coming from someone who professes to have an awesome training program for agents, isn't that what you do?

One would assume that you would have already checked that out with you first started training agents or is this something you just thought of adding to your training program?

When I hired and trained agents that is exactly what I did along with recording conversations. Before I did though, I checked Missouri law and it is legal to do so in Missouri.

Specifically recording phone calls. Missouri law does not require you to inform the other person the call is being recorded, at least they didn't at the time I was training agents.

I do not allow someone on the phone live with me. As I train in many states I figured that way it's better to be safe than sorry.

Also, I am always trying to expand the training and offer more value to the agents in an ongoing manner.

I appreciate your input.

I am familiar with an agency that calls live during a webinar, with as many as 30 to 50 ppl on the line listening; and muted. Of course all on the line are licensed agents, or should be.

The calls are made to internet lead prospects, and initially in the call when the prospect has agreed to proceed with the call, the caller says, "I need to inform you that this call may be monitored or recorded for training purposes", and goes on. We have all spoken to someone on the phone who has made such statement, and it is SOP. We simply don't question it. I never heard one person question this and I would say I listened in on well over 200 live calls.

The agency's legal counsel has blessed the practice as long as the statement is read. Never been a hitch to my knowledge.

Thanks, now I just need to find out in what states that is necessary.

Someone told me that it was a HIPAA violation. That raised my curiousity.

Back