Is this IEP Med Supp sale valid?

Well he didn’t exactly say part D but I hope for his sake he meant part c and supps.

And you’ll never see someone, at least I haven’t, want part d but refuses part B.
It is rare. I only come across it when I run into someone still working at 65 who wants to keep employer coverage but has drug coverage at work that does not meet Medicare’s minimum standard. They will take Parts A and D, wait on B and get an SEP for it at retirement.

It is rare. I only come across it when I run into someone still working at 65 who wants to keep employer coverage but has drug coverage at work that does not meet Medicare’s minimum standard. They will take Parts A and D, wait on B and get an SEP for it at retirement.

That is an interesting set of circumstances. Thank you for posting that for reference.

I would have made, the apparently rash, assumption that employer health drug coverage would meet requirements.

Well he didn’t exactly say part D but I hope for his sake he meant part c and supps.

And you’ll never see someone, at least I haven’t, want part d but refuses part B.

In regard to the post I made earlier in the thread, my concern for OP was how she would respond if she ran onto someone who didn't have Part A because they would have to pay for it. That kinda sticks in my mind because I think there have been threads about that situation.

Hi everybody. I'm going through AHIP right now and I appreciate the different scenarios here. Thank you.

And, to OP:

When you get the Initial Enrollment Periods sorted and stuck in your head, this retirement SEP (Special Enrollment Period) for Medicare Part B is one of the first ones which you should study.

Keep in mind that not all of us will have taken Social Security retirement at age 62 or age 65. Although the Medicare age remains at 65, our full retirement social security age is moving to age 67 and we can increase that a bit more if we are able to wait until age 70. Employers do not always cooperate with one's plans to work until age 70, but more and more of us are considering trying to do so.

So when a person that is over age 65 and still working comes to you for a medicare supplement, you have to work out their Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B status and relate that to the SEP rules for a Medicare supplement Plan in order to see if you can help them.

In regard to the post I made earlier in the thread, my concern for OP was how she would respond if she ran onto someone who didn't have Part A because they would have to pay for it. That kinda sticks in my mind because I think there have been threads about that situation.

That has to be a super rare situation. If you don’t plan on having part A because you didn’t work enough or married to someone hasn’t , I doubt you want to pay for B and D too. And they definitely don’t want a supplement plan so this client would be one you close your folder and say good luck.

Last edited:
That has to be a super rare situation. If you don’t plan on having part A because you didn’t work enough or married to someone has, I doubt you want to pay for B and D too. And they definitely don’t want a supplement plan so this client would be one you close your folder and say good luck.
You have to give it to LD though, he is pretty consistent on the worthless posts...

That has to be a super rare situation. If you don’t plan on having part A because you didn’t work enough or married to someone hasn’t , I doubt you want to pay for B and D too. And they definitely don’t want a supplement plan so this client would be one you close your folder and say good luck.

Learning stuff like this, both the technical knowledge and whether or not to abandon the sale (and how to do it) relate to some of kgmom's basic suggestions about how to become an exceptional Medicare supplement sales agent rather than being the basic agent selling F, D and L.

edit-----------------------------
Unable to refind my support for the D and L portion of the comment, see post 41 below.

Last edited:
Back