Is This Life Insurance?

I have noticed that when I call D-Leads (who most the time don't remember filling out the lead card) about their request for more information about mortgage protection one of the objections they give is they ask "is this life insurance?"

I am wondering

1. Why they are asking this?
2. I was told 'life insurance' has a negative connotation - why is that?

Oh okay. I didn't think about that. I am very new to this and I don't fill out these forms so I have no clue how it goes on the receiving end but I am discovering this now.

Do you usually answer them like
  • 'yes' then continue your script to set appointment
or do you ask them
  • 'what is your concern regarding "life insurance"?'
or are you just like
  • "I'm just the appointment setter and I don't know if I can accurately answer that but the agent who will drop off this info can explain everything to you" and continue to script to set appointment

Not sure the best way to overcome that objection

So at the risk of being harsh...

1. Questions are not objections.

2. Why do you want to see someone who has a negative opinion of life insurance? Do you think you are suddenly going to make them see the light, are you a super strong salesperson who will get them to buy when no one else has?

I used to get that one, when I mailed for MP. That question doesn't mean that they aren't interested, just that you need to kick your game up a little bit. I would verify the mortgage amount, and other identifying info. that was on the card, then back up into their question, letting them know that my interest is in covering the mortgage.

You will be surprised at how quickly they will lighten up, if they know that you're a professional whose sole desire is to assist them with this item.

BECAUSE they have already been pounded by many life insurance agents before you........

Actually, most studies indicate that most consumers don't believe they have ever been approached for life insurance but agents surveyed believe they have talked to everyone about life insurance.

My guess is this issue is more about the perception the consumer has with the proverbial life insurance issue that they have never interacted with. Or, it is the segment of consumers that respond to solicitations or deceptive campaigns & they have indeed been pounds on by the lead selling process

Remember that life insurance is a solution to a problem. So you might want to remind them of why they may have sent in the card in the first place.

"Is this about life insurance?"

"I'm actually calling you in regards to this card I have here in my hand, and it says that you were looking for a plan to pay off your mortgage for your family and leave a sufficient income for your loved ones should something happened to you or your spouse? Is that still the case? And yes, I do have various life insurance plans that can help you with that on an affordable basis... if they're a fit for you and your situation."

Why do you want to see someone who has a negative opinion of life insurance? Do you think you are suddenly going to make them see the light, are you a super strong salesperson who will get them to buy when no one else has?

Preach it!!!

My response would be, "Yes it is life insurance. Is that a problem?"

See, I don't care if I pi$$ them off or not. They will NOT waste my time.

The only problem with ceding that it's life insurance... is that you're talking about what life insurance IS... rather than what life insurance DOES.

And then you let your prospect's understanding of what THEY think life insurance IS... to dominate the response.

Now, for FE or term sales... I suppose that's fine. But most people have no idea of what life insurance can really do for them... so I try to not let their preconceived ideas to prejudge who I am, what I do, and how life insurance can work for them.

Back