Just before Medicare...

Re: What about Starbucks

cadylou said:
I'd heard Starbucks did that too - offered benefits to part timers. That would be good - plus you get all of those free Lattes!! :lol:

If you feel like working for a company that does not support out troops.

Re: Urban Legend

Dave020 said:
The Starbucks does not support our troops is an urban legend that has been debunked.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/starbucks.asp

The link you posted does appear to be a myth, however, the comment I made was in reference to talking with a old military buddy of mine last July 4th, in which he and some friends wrote a letter and received s similar response. Per Starbucks's donations directive (http://www.starbucks.com/customer/cs_donate_guide.asp?cookie_test=1), they will not donate anything pertaining to a political or religious event. I do recall the exact details of the conversation, however, my curiousity is peaked and I will dicuss this with him when he gets back from Iraq.

Yes, the whole quote on that line:

No thank you We respectfully decline any proposals regarding consulting services, sports/athletic endorsements, book endorsements, political or religious activities.

That is a very broad range and is likely done to protect the company from the appearance of favoritism or bias.

As to military, first we are not allowed to receive donations and gifts from private corporations, ever, it the capacity of being in the military (on the side privately is fine off duty for Guard and Reserve as long as it is not military related and only pertains to our civilian job again, not government related). If Lockheed were to even give us a gift pen we are supposed to refuse it and report it. Starbucks cannot send coffee to any troops as it violates military rules, as well as their internal corporate rules. Now, Starbucks does allow private employees to send on their own, which according to the article on Snopes has happened quite often. Then it is really up to the employees to decide to whom they wish to send the gift.

Your buddy should know that he cannot recieve any consideration of this type for a company, only from private individuals as a gift and not affiliated in any way with politics, religion, etc (as regards the purpose of the gift).

Dave
TSgt, USAF

Dave020 said:
Yes, the whole quote on that line:

No thank you We respectfully decline any proposals regarding consulting services, sports/athletic endorsements, book endorsements, political or religious activities.

That is a very broad range and is likely done to protect the company from the appearance of favoritism or bias.

As to military, first we are not allowed to receive donations and gifts from private corporations, ever, it the capacity of being in the military (on the side privately is fine off duty for Guard and Reserve as long as it is not military related and only pertains to our civilian job again, not government related). If Lockheed were to even give us a gift pen we are supposed to refuse it and report it. Starbucks cannot send coffee to any troops as it violates military rules, as well as their internal corporate rules. Now, Starbucks does allow private employees to send on their own, which according to the article on Snopes has happened quite often. Then it is really up to the employees to decide to whom they wish to send the gift.

Your buddy should know that he cannot recieve any consideration of this type for a company, only from private individuals as a gift and not affiliated in any way with politics, religion, etc (as regards the purpose of the gift).

Dave
TSgt, USAF

I stand corrected. I completely forgot about the UCMJ's rules pertaining to donations and appreciate your illuminating the topic. There are enough organizations that support out troops to go around, so I imagine that is sufficient.

as to military, first we are not allowed to receive donations and gifts from private corporations, ever, it the capacity of being in the military (on the side privately is fine off duty for Guard and Reserve

Many years ago I lived in an area where there was a big flood. The gov. called out the National Guard who patroled the streets in the town and residential areas. Two guys stood outside of our home (with guns) all night for 3 nights in the cold. Everyone on the street brought them hot food, snacks, candy, blankes etc. They ate it all and no one thought of it as a 'bribe' but just kindness on our part for them protecting us. We had no electrical power or (electric) heat, but we had gas stoves. We invited them in for dinner but they refused to leave their spot in the street. Each morning I brought them eggs and bacon, just before they were to go off duty... and another two guys arrived... who got steak and fries for dinner. So you are telling me we all broke the law? F--k the law!

Al

Sal - yes, UCMJ can be brought to bear if there is indication of impropriety in terms of receiving "consideration" esp. if it relates to anything where a potential military contract could be involved. Companies stay clear of these things for exactly that reason.

Al - no, those are personal gifts given as a favor or gratitude for service. Those are fine, as long as the breakfast is not being provided by a business that may have an interest in securing a military contract. Therein lies the difference. The neighbors a free to feed the troops, as would be a local McDonalds maybe through a church or directly. However, if McD's corporate gave it, then it could be construed badly (maybe seeking to gain influence for a contract on base).

The other thing you have to realize, UCMJ superceeds all constitutional law for service members. Once you put on the uniform, or in the case of guard and reserve those times when you are on duty, you forego civilian rights in lieu of UCMJ and its provisions. It is easy to say F the law from a civilian standpoint but a very bad idea when you in uniform. UCMJ has numerous provision for disciplinary action for exactly those kinds of things and your legal representation will be a JAG who works for.....well, you know.

Again the main point here is that if Starbucks corporate sends coffee to GIs, it could be construed as an attempt by Starbucks to gain influence in order to be awarded a contract to provide beverages on military bases. Such a contract does exist, for example at Travis where I do my reserve weekends, Solano Baking Company has the Coffee concession contract and Burger King has the "burger place" contract. There is also Taco Bell, Popeyes, Capt D's and others (yes Cinnabon too!!). If employees of the local Starbucks want to send their allotment of coffee to their local guard guys who are deployed, that is fine, just so long as there is no endorsement by the national corporate office.

Dave

Dave020 said:
Sal - yes, UCMJ can be brought to bear if there is indication of impropriety in terms of receiving "consideration" esp. if it relates to anything where a potential military contract could be involved. Companies stay clear of these things for exactly that reason.

Al - no, those are personal gifts given as a favor or gratitude for service. Those are fine, as long as the breakfast is not being provided by a business that may have an interest in securing a military contract. Therein lies the difference. The neighbors a free to feed the troops, as would be a local McDonalds maybe through a church or directly. However, if McD's corporate gave it, then it could be construed badly (maybe seeking to gain influence for a contract on base).

The other thing you have to realize, UCMJ superceeds all constitutional law for service members. Once you put on the uniform, or in the case of guard and reserve those times when you are on duty, you forego civilian rights in lieu of UCMJ and its provisions. It is easy to say F the law from a civilian standpoint but a very bad idea when you in uniform. UCMJ has numerous provision for disciplinary action for exactly those kinds of things and your legal representation will be a JAG who works for.....well, you know.

Again the main point here is that if Starbucks corporate sends coffee to GIs, it could be construed as an attempt by Starbucks to gain influence in order to be awarded a contract to provide beverages on military bases. Such a contract does exist, for example at Travis where I do my reserve weekends, Solano Baking Company has the Coffee concession contract and Burger King has the "burger place" contract. There is also Taco Bell, Popeyes, Capt D's and others (yes Cinnabon too!!). If employees of the local Starbucks want to send their allotment of coffee to their local guard guys who are deployed, that is fine, just so long as there is no endorsement by the national corporate office.

Dave

There is a fine line between promoting and soliciting business through the military. Case in point. A few collegeaus and I where invited to a conference promoted by Sony out in Vegas in which they wanted to discuss their latest digital video camera and technology. Most of the equipment I used was made by Sony and to this day Sony is my top product line, followed by JVC and Mitusubishi. Now. I received a nice little grab bag, open bar invitation and all the food I could eat. Plus I got the added bonus of meeting fellow video professionals, as well as the top people at Sony.

We did not have a contract with Sony, nor were we solicited as far as I know. Here is the ethical dilemma, having accepted the invitation and filling my stomach with as much shrimp as I could eat might be misconstrued as being solicited by Sony to buy their equipment. Had I been in a position where I could make decisions and purchase the equipment, I could see that being questioned, however, I was primarily interested in the latest technology offered by Sony and as I was a SrA at the time, my vote wouldn't have counted much. As you well know, the government does not buy anything until all the planets are in allignment and everybody agrees on the outcome.

So, if a 64 year old wants to send coffee to the troops, that would be ok, as long as they are not the CEO of Starbucks and doing it through the company.

I think I will leave that out of the "what are my options" answer. :D

Whew!

You guys should get a grip - I was just mentioning Starbucks because of benefits, not political positioning. On that - I have no knowledge & was not making any sort of statement. Jeez . . . . :roll:

Back