Just joined

I recall that you're relatively young, Alex. How old were you when you got in the bizz?

29. My family actually comes from a long line of farmers in Montana. My dad's dad and even his dad's dad were all about farming.

As I understand it, my dad ended up in insurance by pure chance. Back in the day, one of his neighbors, who was also a farmer, sold crop insurance. This neighbor, who grew up during the Great Depression, was all about saving a buck. His wife would rinse out old bleach jugs and give them to him to hold drinking water while he was out working the fields.

One hot summer day, in a big hurry, the farmer grabbed the wrong jug. He went to take a big chug of water to beat the heat, but it turned out to be bleach. Poor guy's esophagus got burned, but he managed to survive for a while longer. He had built up a small book of crop insurance clients. So, he approached my dad and asked if he had any interest in giving insurance a shot so his clients would still have an agent after his passing.

Thinking it would just be a source of income on the side, my dad took the plunge. That must have been 40 years ago or so.

My mom was in insurance, retired, and also had an uncle, one of my dad’s brothers in it. My older brother and of course myself. All independent agents.

Not my chosen career path, but here we are.

29. My family actually comes from a long line of farmers in Montana. My dad's dad and even his dad's dad were all about farming.

As I understand it, my dad ended up in insurance by pure chance. Back in the day, one of his neighbors, who was also a farmer, sold crop insurance. This neighbor, who grew up during the Great Depression, was all about saving a buck. His wife would rinse out old bleach jugs and give them to him to hold drinking water while he was out working the fields.

One hot summer day, in a big hurry, the farmer grabbed the wrong jug. He went to take a big chug of water to beat the heat, but it turned out to be bleach. Poor guy's esophagus got burned, but he managed to survive for a while longer. He had built up a small book of crop insurance clients. So, he approached my dad and asked if he had any interest in giving insurance a shot so his clients would still have an agent after his passing.

Thinking it would just be a source of income on the side, my dad took the plunge. That must have been 40 years ago or so.

My mom was in insurance, retired, and also had an uncle, one of my dad’s brothers in it. My older brother and of course myself. All independent agents.

Not my chosen career path, but here we are.

Wow, 29 is young. I started in my early 30's, which is still very young. Very few people choose insurance, they just kinda stumble into it, from what I see. Not exactly a glamorous business that comes calling to people.

Back