Just joined

Wow, 29 is young. I started in my early 30's, which is still very young. Very few people choose insurance, they just kinda stumble into it, from what I see. Not exactly a glamorous business that comes calling to people.

Definitely not an easy career starting out! I don't know how people do it without some close friends or family connections. I have had a few friends try it and not even make it 6 months. Late 20's / Early 30s is a good time to start, still have energy, but also some life experience. I wouldn't have made it in my early 20's.

What did you do before insurance? Did you get your cape before or after you started?

Definitely not an easy career starting out! I don't know how people do it without some close friends or family connections. I have had a few friends try it and not even make it 6 months. Late 20's / Early 30s is a good time to start, still have energy, but also some life experience. I wouldn't have made it in my early 20's.

What did you do before insurance? Did you get your cape before or after you started?

I owned an ad agency and a property management business. I sold the ad agency, and kept the property management business when I got into insurance. So, I had the cash and commercial sales experience to make it work, but it was still tough.

Yep, it's murder getting started. Especially the first 5 or 7 years or so. Commercial is probably the toughest to get rolling, but I'd argue probably the best once you get to the other end.

You're lucky you had family helping you get started. All I had was a cape and a can of hair spray. That and my dashing good looks and giant right hand.

All I had was a cape and a can of hair spray. That and my dashing good looks and giant right hand.

That still leaves the question of what motivated you to get into it. Also, it's debatable whether my family or a cape and can of hairspray were more beneficial in jumpstarting an insurance career.

That still leaves the question of what motivated you to get into it. Also, it's debatable whether my family or a cape and can of hairspray were more beneficial in jumpstarting an insurance career.

After I sold my ad agency to my business partner, I needed to do something with myself, so I went to work for a scratch State Farm agency. Shortly after that I went indi. I could tell that given enough time, this was a good long term play. It would just take a lot of time and a lot of money.

You are incredibly fortunate to be able to step into the business that way.
I know I'm very fortunate but I don't have the life experience (I'm 21) to understand how fortunate I am. I'm grateful for my dad's help but I haven't seen into the future to see how this will shape my future. He grew his agency to a certain size and then decided that was enough and hasn't had to hit the pavement in decades :laugh: can't blame him at all.

29. My family actually comes from a long line of farmers in Montana. My dad's dad and even his dad's dad were all about farming.

As I understand it, my dad ended up in insurance by pure chance. Back in the day, one of his neighbors, who was also a farmer, sold crop insurance. This neighbor, who grew up during the Great Depression, was all about saving a buck. His wife would rinse out old bleach jugs and give them to him to hold drinking water while he was out working the fields.

One hot summer day, in a big hurry, the farmer grabbed the wrong jug. He went to take a big chug of water to beat the heat, but it turned out to be bleach. Poor guy's esophagus got burned, but he managed to survive for a while longer. He had built up a small book of crop insurance clients. So, he approached my dad and asked if he had any interest in giving insurance a shot so his clients would still have an agent after his passing.

Thinking it would just be a source of income on the side, my dad took the plunge. That must have been 40 years ago or so.

My mom was in insurance, retired, and also had an uncle, one of my dad’s brothers in it. My older brother and of course myself. All independent agents.

Not my chosen career path, but here we are.
Wow what a great story about his entry into the industry. Can't imagine the poor guy choking on bleach.

How is everyone liking the independent side having once been captive? My dad says you all have your own struggles but I can also see the huge advantages.

After I sold my ad agency to my business partner, I needed to do something with myself, so I went to work for a scratch State Farm agency. Shortly after that I went indi. I could tell that given enough time, this was a good long term play. It would just take a lot of time and a lot of money.
It has shaped up for you? What does your day to day life look like now? Sounds relaxed and dare I say glamorous :laugh:

Not as fortunate as me, my dad was an independent agent. Don't worry though, I check my CIS white heteronormative male privilege before I walk into the office.
Thanks for the reminder.
Privilege check for everyone in this discussion and moment of silence for our non-CIS white hetero male brethern...

Wow what a great story about his entry into the industry. Can't imagine the poor guy choking on bleach.

How is everyone liking the independent side having once been captive? My dad says you all have your own struggles but I can also see the huge advantages.

I think it is very advantageous to be independent right now. Even Farmer's thinks so, just ask your dad about Kraft Lake

I think it is very advantageous to be independent right now. Even Farmer's thinks so, just ask your dad about Kraft Lake
I'm a fan of Kraft Lake myself. Got a general liability policy on a guy who was selling chocolates out of his office next door for something like $300 a year with Liberty. I didn't take any additional commission because I'm green but if I was already established I might've because of how cheap that seemed.

Back