Just Recently Got In . . . Get Out Now?

I am just starting out myself, I currently work for AARP /United Health Care. I been getting paid pennies and selling so many plans for them during 4th Qrt even part D. They pay us $2.50 a application talking about a rip off and they get new temps and help them get a license, because they don't know any better. I know it will take some time to get leads and sell, but I need to be up for the challenge.

Good luck to all you newbies. We want you to succeed in your career, not fail, and the members of this forum often reach out a helping hand to explain the business to newcomers.

In this situation, you are talking about entering the health insurance field right during the biggest upheaval that has ever happened in the industry. Please understand that our suggestion that you sit this one out and look at another line (like Life, LTC, Med Supps, etc.) is the best advice we feel we could give a newbie. If you are not new to the business, that's a different story. But if you are just entering this field, I don't think you have enough time to go through the learning curve before the Obamacare train hits. (And yes, that was a reference to Senator Baucus's prediction of an Obamacare train wreck.)

I sell med supp already, but once I leave AARP I can't sell for United for about 7 months before they release me what a punishment. I would love to sell group Insurance BC/BS, but they have only their favorites in that Market. Do you think they will be doing away with Advantage plans?

30 hours of training, register with the exchange, be certified as having received the necessary training, and pass an HHS-approved exam . . . I read this as a proposed rule.

Is all this stuff actually in place already? If it is finalized where exactly do I sign up to do the training and take the test? Would anyone be kind enough to provide me a link or some clarification?

Not sure why I'm having so much trouble finding it on my own, I'm not completely incapable of searching the internet. Thanks in advance.

30 hours of training, register with the exchange, be certified as having received the necessary training, and pass an HHS-approved exam . . . I read this as a proposed rule.

Funny you mention that. They can crank out the rules about how to screw the producers, but they can't get the important stuff up and running as quickly and/or easily.

They told us the agent training and certification will be this summer. I've heard June, and I've heard August as the target dates...

and im hearing closer to 8 hrs in CA
with very gameable testing .....for you slackers
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
dave

are you still interpeting the legal jargon
as us being blocked on the hiring/compensating navigators idea?
last time you commented on it a few weeks ago, you thought this as dead

Last edited:
It's on the agenda for the May 7 meeting. Recommendation as of today, Navigators and Assisters will be prohibited from accepting money from agents. Agents certified with the exchange will be prohibited from paying Navigators and Assisters. I expect they will uphold the recommendation on May 7.

Can't hire 'em, can't pay 'em in CA.

Back